Author Topic: 6 months and it starts in 1.5 secs  (Read 1505 times)

Offline ereeiz

• Members
6 months and it starts in 1.5 secs
« on: September 29, 2012, 03:31:41 pm »
I've got a mate coming to look at buying my G. It's sat since it shat 2nd gear in Jan/ Feb. I've not touched it since about March, except to clean some junk out of it (it was a daily). Needless to say the battery is flat and I was expecting to hear all sorts of unwanted rattles and knocks when starting it up.

I disconnected the -ve cable from the battery and the hall sender connection, cranked it over (verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry slowly as I had a really shit set of jump leads-about 30rpm I reckon) on and off for a minute or so to build oil pressure.

Then I connected the hall sender back up and cranked it, expecting it to not fire due to it turning so slowly...... literally within 1.5 seconds (and possibly 2-3 turns max) it fired up, no misfiring, no lumpy idle, no rattles, even the tappets were quiet! The only noise being the rattle from the gearbox (soon shuts up if you press the clutch). I went over it with a screwdriver as a stethoscope to check as I couldn't believe it.

I FUCKING LOVE G40'S!

As soon as I heard it I didn't want to sell it. I'm deffo going to have to get another...... in black this time. Just need to sell the Ibiza first, think I may wait 'til spring though.

It'll be staying local too if he has it, so it'll be good to see it around. May have a new member on here before long!

That's all really. Bit of a pointless thread I guess, I'm just stunned/impressed that it's not got any new issues after sitting for 6 months. Apart from a perished end on the fuel feed. 30 seconds and a pair of snips/ £2 of new pipe will sort that though.

Offline AlexG40

• Members
Re: 6 months and it starts in 1.5 secs
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 07:34:22 pm »
Lol. Good old VWs. Gotta love em.