Author Topic: My finally "roadworthy" G  (Read 1719 times)

Offline Agent47

• Members
My finally "roadworthy" G
« on: September 21, 2012, 08:15:11 pm »
Just after some help with my now non starting G. Picked it up 4/5 months ago from a guy who got bored chasing electrical problems with it and sold it as a non runner, after a small amount of research on here and 15 mins i had the car running with no complaints (he had put an earth strap on the coil). Got it back from it's mot last night after it had spent a few months at my mums stable so that i could do bits pieces to it without having to tax, insure etc. It started fine and ran fine every time i took it out. Last night on the drive home it ran fine, awesomely fast, i am now a member of "that grin" club. Was fine until i got to the motorway where it would run terribly unless on full throttle and pump out black smoke until i got to full throttle.
(Very similar/identical to this http://www.polog40.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,2358.0.html)

I contacted Justin and he confirmed that he fixed this by changing the lambda, so i will be trying this soon. Unfortunately the thing won't start now. Before i look in to it tomorrow (usual blue temp sensor, plugs, leads, dizzy), just need something clearing up, am i right in thinking when you turn the ignition on, you should be able to hear the fuel pump prime? Just noticed that mine didn't when i tried starting it, if so, what would i need to check to be able to sort this?

Sorry it's a bit wordy and maybe a bit woolly with the description but any help would be welcome

Cheers

Luke

Offline JregGT

• Members
Re: My finally "roadworthy" G
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 10:10:42 pm »
Yes when you turn the ignition on, the fuel pump will 'wurr,' prime like you said! So if there is not a 'wurring' could be the pump is bummed. Could of been an old poopty fuel filter after standing so long has thrown some rubbish into the pump that it didnt like. Pumps aren't cheap tho, I do remember a fella getting a reasonable deal on one of ebay, so maybe if you know someone with a working one, could try that? But i'd definately be changing the fuel filter first (if you hadn't already.)
Also worth checking, there is a fuel pump relay next to the ecu, which could also be causing the pump not to prime, can't remember which is it, but worth checking the terminals on that are clean and making decent contact.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 10:12:36 pm by JregGT »

Offline Agent47

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 10:50:59 pm »
I'll check the relay in the morning. I'm really keeping my fingers crossed that i have the right fuel pump, as the guy who did my mot changed tanks and im sure the one he used was from a mk2 and suspect they have different pumps?

Offline Fred

• Members
  • Fred
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 12:21:21 pm »
I had the same problem recently.
I converted my single point injection AAV 1.3 Genisis to a NZ Multipoint injection with GT Camshaft.
The NZ engine bay loom was in a bit of a state with corroded green furry connections.
One which is through the fusebox (white connection block) carrys the fuel pump wires.
My car suddenly went dead driving to work. I turned the ignition off and on to find i didn`t hear the pump prime.
I tried a multimeter in varios places along the path and traced it to this connection.
My fuel pump relay had power as i heard it click but the circuit it was supposed to connect was dead.
I left the ignition on and moved this wire and heard the pump prime as i wiggled it a little.
The NZ engine bay loom was very tatty as was the car it came from so there we`re green furry connectors needing a de scale.

Here are the pics

Fred.

Offline Agent47

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 10:11:21 pm »
Cheers guys, all very helpful. Solved the pump problem, all i did was pull the relay out, introduce it to some spit and a t-shirt and has worked fine since. Still waiting for delivery of a lambda but at least she runs at the mo.

Offline Agent47

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 11:16:08 pm »
Update: My lambda finally arrived and fitted it over the weekend, seems to have done the trick. However it seems to run slower than before. Changed to a 65mm pulley and PPP chip last week and the car seemed silly fast at full throttle. Now with the new lambda plugged it it's definitely not pulling like before. Could this be a dodgy lambda or is possibly a combination of new chip and lambda providing less of a change between partial throttle and full throttle?

Cheers

Luke