Author Topic: Crankcase breather availability!  (Read 1634 times)

Offline Gilly

• Members
Crankcase breather availability!
« on: October 08, 2012, 07:49:30 pm »
Has anyone replaced crankcase breather recently and know where to get one? The one that diverts into three pieces, cheers

Offline AlexG40

• Members
Re: Crankcase breather availability!
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 08:32:39 pm »
The metal bit was obsolete at VW a few months back. I don't know where you'd get one from now.

Offline Gilly

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 08:38:41 pm »
Yeah main dealers suck! How are we supposed to keep the car on the road if parts aren't available anymore, looking for the pipe work that connectors to the breather

Offline AlexG40

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 08:40:38 pm »
I don't think they want you to keep a 21 year old car on the road tbh. I think they'd rather you bought a new one!

Offline Gilly

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 09:09:12 pm »
I've got another car as well but that's not the point, a part I need seems to no longer be available.

Offline AlexG40

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 09:37:47 pm »
You could pretty much make that pipe work yourself and probably for less than VW would want anyway. It's also subject to a very popular modification so a few people may well have the stock bits kicking about.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 09:11:56 am »
I've got another car as well but that's not the point, a part I need seems to no longer be available.

unfortunately you'd best get used to this.  VW Heritage can sometimes source bits or you can sometimes get them from germany (asking/pestering etc... your dealership to get stuff in from germany might help).  Once the newest mk3 polo was over 15 years old a couple of years ago, VW no longer have to keep making spares available.  It's not limited to Polos or even VWs, finding old spare parts is hard for most old cars.  The best ones are things like old MGs where there is a massive following of them and companies set up to re-manufacture old parts, not enough people wanting parts for old polos to make that a viable option though.