Author Topic: Any ideas?  (Read 11597 times)

Offline 1982mk1

• Members
Any ideas?
« on: August 18, 2012, 10:32:02 am »
Does any one know what this might be for?

It came with my project, but the guy never said what it was for. Im thinking that one end goes to the second inlet into the charger, and maybe the other end to the crack case breather?

Offline Justin14100

• Traders
Re: Any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 11:38:22 am »
Bingo! That'l be what it is. Its so you don't get the hot air recirculation but you still get the oil mist from the crank case to lube her up!

Offline 1982mk1

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 02:43:15 pm »
Bingo! That'l be what it is. Its so you don't get the hot air recirculation but you still get the oil mist from the crank case to lube her up!

So is it worth putting on? And remove the carbon canister and all the pipe work ect? 

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 03:56:38 pm »
You either need it on or use the ptfe grease they sell on here. I would stick it back on personally.

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 10:10:16 am »
Actually it might of been used like this?

Offline djtez

• Members
  • aaAAHH CHOOO!
    • its ma bebo site
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 09:36:58 pm »
hmmm I wonder how the above works then ! ? ..

Offline 1982mk1

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 09:46:04 pm »
Actually it might of been used like this?

Thats actually a really good idea! Wander how they blocked the TB butterfly flap though?

Are there any more pictures of this?

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 10:55:57 am »
From what i can see i think this is how they set it up.

The boost pipe from above the radiator is replaced with one of them t piece ones, they they got a forge diverter valve, same as what my s3 has dv007 i think, then they use a 25mm? silicone hose to the charger inlet, the vacuum pipe is then run from the top of the diverter valve to a t-piece the is fed from the fuel pressure regulator (you can see it all in red) take the t-piece off the throttle body, cut it off and then get a plate welded on it. A few people that go turbo do the same to the t-piece. Then the diverter valve works just like a dump valve. I think diverter valves suit turbos better rather than superchargers, as it helps keep the turbo spooling or something? Not really sure.

I thought about doing it to mine as i dont really like the t-piece always being open, could get a filter but this looks better  ;)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 10:58:22 am by Jezza-7 »

Offline POLOMON

• Members
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2012, 09:43:21 am »
so as long as you have a dumpvalve on a supercharged setup you can get rid of that extra butterfly setup on the top hat? dont like the scruffyness of that valve, may consider removing it if i can then!

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2012, 05:33:57 pm »
Yeah, you dont have to have a diverter valve like the above one, a dump valve will be ok as well.

Or you can put the diverter/dump valve on the throttle t-piece.

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2012, 05:34:45 pm »
Tempted to take my s3 one off at see how well it works.

Offline 1982mk1

• Members
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2012, 11:20:52 pm »
Yeah, you dont have to have a diverter valve like the above one, a dump valve will be ok as well.

Could remove the second butterfly flap and then add a diverter valve?

Despite all the obvious reasons covering the boost return, why didnt VW do this so all the boost enters the engine? Does it have anything to do with fuel economy? So when on very little or no boost, its just like driving a NA car? 

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2012, 11:22:57 pm »
Yeah you would have to otherwise there wouldnt be much point.

Sucks oil from breather pipe to lube charger.

Offline POLOMON

• Members
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2012, 09:38:05 am »

Ahh i see, any side effects from this? I did ask someone and got advised against it with a charger. Really wouldnt mind doing the snip and cutting it off though.

Sorry for the thread hijack 1982mk1, it seemed right at the time to ask in here.  :-[

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2012, 10:28:52 am »
Despite all the obvious reasons covering the boost return, why didnt VW do this so all the boost enters the engine?

because you don't want that, it wouldn't even run.  You don't want all this extra air being forced into the engine when there's no demand for it.  Using a dump valve like this is silly and wont cause all the extra air to go in anyway, the dump valve will just be attempting to constantly bleed it off, they aren't designed for this job, the boost return valve is a good way of doing that!  I just can't see the point of this set up, there's no gain to be had.  It's been tried lots of times over the years.