Author Topic: Spinning a G40 - will the charger be OK?  (Read 1306 times)

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
Spinning a G40 - will the charger be OK?
« on: August 12, 2012, 07:51:09 pm »
This is going to sound very random.

I'm doing YouDrive@Porsche next weekend, hopefully in the Polo as long as I can get all the bits sorted on it.

This is a day of skidpan stuff, similating losing control on ice etc.

Having done stuff like this in the past, there's usually enough space to spin for a while before the car hits grippy tarmac and stops suddenly. I assume with toothed belts this isn't good for the charger. Will I be ok?

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
Re: Spinning a G40 - will the charger be OK?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 07:51:47 pm »
I'm going to put part of the boost return hose back on so the upward jets of water don't get into the engine, too.

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 09:15:11 pm »
Should be fine Alex, what's your concern with toothies?

Offline GSBellew

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 12:30:53 am »
I presume he is concerned about the idea of sudden deceleration of the charger when he car regains grip.

Shouldn't be an issue unless the car is banging off the limiter when it regains traction.

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 01:04:31 am »
As above - suddenly regaining grip at the front end will rapidly slow the engine revs, and toothed belts tend to be fairl unforgiving in terms of transferring this to the charger internals.

Added fear because I broke a car at Prodrive four years ago doing this. But that was aimed at showing how retarded driving can be recovered with electric driving aids. With everything turned off I span off the side of the low grip surface, front wheels gripped while spinning in the opposite direction and the car shat diesel everywhere. It go taken away very quickly though, so I guess it's a car issue rather than anything else, but still.

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 08:04:02 am »
I guess the idea isn't to go into the spin in 5th on the limiter though  ;)

Don't see it being a problem mate, might want to make sure your coil doesn't get soaked though.

In this situation you wouldn't be any better with v-belts anyway, the charger doesn't have enough inertia to slip belts on rapid decelleration, so the relationship between crank speed and lader speed remains the same for toothies or v-belts.

Offline ereeiz

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 12:48:00 pm »
Don't forget the WD40!