Author Topic: Spring rates (Cup cars & track cars?)  (Read 11268 times)

Offline Andy

• Traders
Spring rates (Cup cars & track cars?)
« on: August 07, 2012, 08:31:16 pm »
Anyone know what the Cup Cars ran front and rear? I have 275lb front and 180lb rear in my head, but not sure if that's right!

What everyone else run on their G40s, and how do they feel?

I'm about to order a Gaz coilover setup, so trying to make up my mind what to spec that'll work well with the subframe but still remain acceptable for road use. Have a few ideas on what to try - but lack much baseline info to compare to.

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
Re: Spring rates (Cup cars & track cars?)
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 08:47:50 pm »
Paul Caudwell might know- or G40Motorsport?

Karl know too- but lost them/forgot his camera/ didn't answer whenever I asked  ::)

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 09:38:46 pm »
cup cars had ARBs too though.  I have 275lb ones on the front of my black one now (with subframe & no ARB) and I still feel it rolls too much on track.  Have some 325 ones waiting to go on.  But I need some better dampers too.

Pretty horrible on road like that though!

Offline Karlos the jackyl

• Members
    • VW Polo
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 10:26:46 pm »
Paul Caudwell might know- or G40Motorsport?

Karl know too- but lost them/forgot his camera/ didn't answer whenever I asked  ::)

No , not on this occasion

I haven't a clue what the spring rates are ..  but I can tell you they were pretty stiff ..especially the fronts

G40motorsport would be a good start.

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 10:31:56 pm »
cup cars had ARBs too though.
Yep, but it gives me an idea of what a well developed track setup with ARB is set to. Yoof's Cup Car stuff doesn't ride too badly on the road - could live with that, but ideally a little bit softer.

What you running at the rear Hayesey?

Offline gofasterpinch

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 10:45:18 pm »
i'm sure Paul Cauldwell told me some outrageously stiff poundage for them once?!

Mine will have 200s on the front, 170s on the rear as a "tarmac rally" setup with big tube bilsteins, but mine has fairly long springs on - 10" front and like 14" rear

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 11:55:21 pm »
I have 275s at the front and 165s at the back. It's firm, not back breaking though. I've heard 225s are ideal for road use up front, and that'd make it comfier. I'm not sure I can be bothered changing mine though, I like how it corners.

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 06:54:46 am »
I have 180lb on the back abduction unless you back the darkening off quite abjt i found them a tad to hard for road use, i have backed the damping of i think Im about 7 clicks from softest but please note the dampening adjustment on these is not linear. and they seem just about right now although if i was to choose again i may go for 165 or maybe 150's . i ran these with my h and r on the front the where around 230lb and they where just about right on the road for me never used it on the track and i suspect as hayesey  said they would be too soft.
Also worth mentioning as standard gaz come with a very small amount of travel and anything much softer than 275lb will mean riding on the progressive bump stops which is ok for cornernering and handling but not so good for potholes speed bumps etc... i speed mine with a touch more travel and some slightly softer compression damping for more comfort.
i had a mare dealing with gaz Andy to be honest their kit is good stuff but actually getting what i wanted took an absolute age. They took several months to sort the problem. lost the drawings i sent them and consistently sent me the wrong springs on 4 separate occasions. This may have been just an isolated case as every one else sings their praises.
 I would just suggest you know exactly what you want and make it very very clear what you want from the beginning. hopefully you'll recived better service than me!!

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2012, 08:50:24 am »
What rate have you got on the Gaz on the front - 275lb?

Offline djtez

• Members
  • aaAAHH CHOOO!
    • its ma bebo site
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2012, 12:02:32 pm »
i couldn't find my exact kit, but however i did find the mk1 golf kit..

460lbs front 285lbs rear..

now i assume they are going to be heavier on the slightly heavier golf but not dramatically..

was there any more talk about ARB on the stageIII subframe conv. ?

a few people want less roll but i've never even had the chance to drive the polo with any set up :(

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2012, 12:46:25 pm »
What rate have you got on the Gaz on the front - 275lb?

went for 225lb up front, with a shorter body and longer piston to attain the ride height i wanted with more travel.

Offline youngprodigys

• Members
  • G 3URO
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2012, 04:43:52 pm »
i have some ranging from 300-330 if you want any to try dood

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2012, 10:00:57 pm »
Cheers mate, might give you a shout when the time comes! Plan is to develop a decent compromise for Stage 3 subframe owners wanting to use their car on the road.

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
  • Probably the oldest G driver in the Universe.
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2012, 07:54:05 pm »
Just tagging on to this post, what was the spring rate on the standard G ?

Offline gofasterpinch

• Members
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2012, 08:16:52 am »
standard springs are outrageously soft, i don't know the fronts, but i measured the rears using a press and a corner weight scale and they are 100lb/inch!