Author Topic: wiring- 1.0 J Reg, locating yellow pump/diagnostic/rev counter or ecu power plug  (Read 11882 times)

Offline POLOMON

• Members
Hi all,
Been doing abit of a wire tuck/engine swop lately and I've been sorting the wiring. I've managed to sort everything bar the yellow plug that is supposed to be next to the ecu in the scuttle area.
This plug is a 3 way connector that has the diagnostic wiring, the puel pumps power wire and I believe the oil sensor wire.

Here is a snippet from cheys03 about said plug:
" On the AAV this 3-way connection takes the diagnostic cable, fuel pumps power and the oil sensor.
On the GT this 3-way takes the diagnostic cable, fuel pumps power and a red and black cable that goes from the ignition switch (I think) to the ECU connector"
Anyway, its not so much of what it does more of I can't seem to find mine! HELP!

Like I say I've been wire tucking, have removed NO wires just moved/relocated them inside. Where an I likely to find this yellow plug and will I definitely have one? What's it inline with so I can possibly try to trace its location.

The only yellow plugs I seem to be able to find are for the actual diagnostic outlet ports!

I have found the white plug that is also ment to be in the scuttle next to it, but not this yellow one.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 11:27:12 am by POLOMON »

Offline POLOMON

• Members
Re: wiring- 1.0 J Reg, Can't Find Yellow Pump/diagnostic/oil Sensor Wire
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 08:14:41 pm »
The wire colours that I believe are ment to go to this yellow plug are:
Red with yellow tracer (fuel pump I THINK)
Red with black tracer ( by process of elimination I think it has to be the oil pressure sensor?
Yellow with white tracer (engine diagnostics wire I THINK)

These wires are in a black male plug (the yellow being the female side with the locking clip thing)

If for some reason my car is a early/late model without one where do I connect these wires?

Offline POLOMON

• Members
Re: wiring- 1.0 J Reg, Can't find yellow pump/diagnostic/oil sensor plug
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 09:18:12 am »
This is the plug i have left :-(

Offline cheys03

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 02:08:29 pm »
This is all from memory - but you're right except the middle black/red wire is rev counter - or possibly ignition signal for the ECU. I think this depends on early/late spec. Again, from memory I've a feeling that on early spec the oil sensor is part of the main loom that connects into the fusebox.

Yellow plug may not exist on early cars - mine is late

Offline POLOMON

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 03:10:39 pm »
Thanks very much for the reply Cheys, So that means J reg is classed as ''early'' ?

Shooooot! so its a case of each wire is going to have to be soldered/spliced into wires in the fusebox outs? I hate wiring, wouldnt happen to know where or anything would you Chris? I dont own a haynes and for a couple of bits i'd rather not have to buy one haha. i know, self inflicted. Im awful with wiring anyway so wouldnt know where to start if i did have a haynes!  :-[

Ive spent all morning trawling through threads on here to no avail so im not sure where to go from here.

Thanks for the help so far mate.

Ben

Offline cheys03

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 04:50:37 pm »
Is that 3-way plug in the cabin or the engine bay? It should be in the engine bay I would have thought...
Not to worry though.
The fuel pump wire is the easiest. Pull back the rubber boots on the engine back side of the fusebox looms, it's one of the only big thick wires, and is red and yellow (the same) iirc it's the corner pin of one of the plugs.

Middle red and black cable - we need to find out what this is for sure. It's probably the rev counter. If all other wiring is there, leave it disconnected and turn the engine over and see if the needle moves, if it does, then it's not the rev counter wire and is probably the ignition switch signal to the ECU. See if you can download a PDF of Haynes, as the ECU pinouts will be very useful.
Just checked mine: Pin 24 on ECU is red/black and goes to rev counter
Pin1 is also red and black and goes to ignition switch though I connected mine to the red wire on the starter motor connector on the inlet manifold as it's the same thing.
Pins will be numbered on the ECU and it's plug.
You can use a multimeter to trace them.

Diagnostic wire. Screw it - not important right now and barely any use in future!

Sorry I can't be more helpful - am not with my computer and so working on a phone with very poor signal.

Offline POLOMON

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 05:00:41 pm »
It shoud be chris yes, im half way through a look tuck though haha!

My fuse box is now in the dash lower panel:

The red and black i shall do the turning engine over trick, if it turns over and starts (presuming ive done the red/yellow wire) i know it had ECU live surely? if it starts then i guess its the rev gauge, if its dead its probably ecu? I'll have a look out for a PDF file or maybe the easiest thing really is to just ebay a haynes!

I did work out all the wires going off the ECU pin-outs thread on here but it didnt give a specific name iirc? more a general term for the 3 wires?

You've been great help thanks Chris :-)

I'll focus on that fuel pump wire, i did work out that wire mainly from looking at the fuel pump fuse and relays and notice it was red/yellow.

I'll report back very shortly ;-) Thanks very much

Offline POLOMON

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 06:39:50 pm »
Engine oil pressure warning module - pin 24- that's the one I was thinkinf of when I said it had a general term for all wires.... I guess its just as you say then :-)

There is a multi plug left inside the car from the 1.0 removal, has 6 wires if I remember rightly... Not sure what this is all about or if I leave it empty.

Here was me thinking it was plug and play and im having to do this :-( no idea what I'm doin.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 06:43:31 pm by POLOMON »

Offline POLOMON

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 09:25:35 am »
Sorry for the delay, photobucket wouldnt load on my phone to get pics up :-(

Reet, Had a look for them plugs chris. Found the thick wire you mention, the back right hand side of the white plug shown below here?

Also in the above picture on the BLACK plug i noticed a black and red same as the one i have lieing about.... clutching at straws but reckon i connect the two haha?

Also, when i unplugged the 1.0 wiring loom from the engine i had this plug left, if i remember rightly it was the injector loom plug:

Could this be used anywhere orrr?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 09:29:26 am by POLOMON »

Offline cheys03

• Members
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2012, 11:43:19 am »
Looks good for the red/yellow and black/red.

Bottom two (blue/black, yellow/black) on the 5pin black connector look like they might be your oil pressure sensors, I think on an SPI they connect via the throttle body loom so that makes sense.

Offline POLOMON

• Members
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2012, 11:49:18 am »
Done it again cheys :D thanks very much, im thinking thats it wiring wise now! the G oil pressure stuff is all on one plug too on the inlet as far as i can work out? shall see when ive got the engine anyway.

Cant wait to get it on the road, i can see a upset me sitting on the drive with a done car and 1 wire not connected and it not running mind... lol. Saf sais he knows his way around these wiring looms so if it goes tits up i'll ask him to pop down in exchange for some of mothers chip butties :P haha! (if hes reading this he will know what i mean :p )

Offline POLOMON

• Members
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2012, 11:05:25 am »
Bit of an update to this, i have discovered now with the help of Hayesey i do possibly need to use some of my 1.0 injection loom on the G for the oil pressure sensors. Now the plug i mentioned above from the 1.0 injection loom does have a YELLOW and RED wire, could i use this wire to connect to the 1 wire i was going to splice into the white plug?

I'd rather splice into a proper VW plug that cut and shut wires if i can help it.

So to clarify, this plug:

was going to have its YELLOW/RED spliced into the back right of this white plug:

But i have now discovered i need to use this plug for the oil pressure wiring:

This plug has a YELLOW/RED wire, could i splice the YELLOW/RED wire from the black plug into this black plug for the old 1.0 injector wires?

Offline POLOMON

• Members
Spent most of the week trying to work this out looking at a PDF haynes manual i have and im none the wiser, so much for a easy job.  :-\

Any help greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 04:30:40 pm by POLOMON »

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
dude, use the plug off your old spi loom, so you retain your oil pressure switches.

the red/black wire ill check tomorrow on mine, pretty sure its tacho

other one is for vagcom. if you need to pass any through you can use spare pin holes on the fuseboard plugs

Offline POLOMON

• Members
Thanks saf, Yellow with black tracer and blue with black tracer (oil pressure wires) i put to the SPI plug, traced the yellow with red tracer in the spi plug to go to that wire cheys told me to put it too so thats done too, other ive left as its vagcom as you say.

Spent the weekend fitting the engine and making shit happen so wiring is getting there. Shame a top fill front rad sits on the charger... need to move rad over :-(