Author Topic: My Polo G40 KCK  (Read 89415 times)

Offline SamG40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
Re: My Polo G40 KCK
« Reply #135 on: August 02, 2015, 11:56:45 am »
Very good. How are the coilies now you've driven on them a bit more? Have you fitted that GT inlet yet?

Offline Jester

• Members
  • I have to return some videotapes.
« Reply #136 on: August 02, 2015, 01:02:58 pm »
Much better then my previous suspension, they have quite a bit more travel which is why i'm having to wind them up!

yea fitted the GT inlet yesterday, haven't really driven it since then though

Offline Jester

• Members
« Reply #137 on: August 29, 2015, 12:44:09 pm »
Some pictures from vwfestival... next stop e38 hopefully.

Offline Jester

• Members
« Reply #138 on: October 08, 2015, 12:55:22 pm »
Bit of an update on progress with this:
--
Went to Pete's with my brother and got some bits,

NOS VW radiator
NOS Polo 86c rubber mats, fronts and backs with seat clips  ;D
A rear boot carpet from a 29k g40 apparently
Some more steering arms
Intercooler pipe
Injector jackets

Probably some other stuff to but i've forgotten..

Rad and the mats

Resprayed my fan housing and fitted to rad

Resprayed this elbow while I was at it to clean it up a bit

Then I gave the car some proper Waxoyl cover, rear beam a bit of a paint just to smarten things up, I need to reseat my exhaust with new clamps and rubbers as it took a bit of a beating on the way to e38.

Gave my arch's a bit of a clean up and also, will need to set coilovers up once I've fitted my wheels as I've returned back to the original 13 ra's with some 175/50/13 yoko's

Wheels need a bit of a clean and got some new centres lined up for them hopefully

And this is my engine bay at the moment, currently waiting for a new thermostat housing then I can put it back together, i've also given my rocker another spray of paint just to smarten it up.

I got hold of a battery cover too, believe it's of a mk4 golf though so it's quite big, will need to tweak it a bit.

Not the most exciting update but more will follow in time, just trying to clean it up.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 11:49:03 am by Jester »

Offline JoeH

• Members
« Reply #139 on: October 08, 2015, 08:23:28 pm »
What waxoyl did you go for?
looks like a nice coverage.
I like Dynax S50 or UB
Some swear by dinitrol

Offline Jester

• Members
« Reply #140 on: October 08, 2015, 10:45:36 pm »
I've used Hammerite  waxoyle , always have! Tin and brush for the archs, spray cans for the underside.. I did it all lying on the garage floor  :(
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 10:51:06 pm by Jester »

Offline Jester

• Members
« Reply #141 on: October 11, 2015, 07:51:02 pm »
Another update,

Bought these random sponge things of here a while back, didn't really know where they went... however noticed on my golf today it the same things to stop the parcel shelf tilting up and down over bumps, looking at my g40s boot I noticed to sticky areas and on the parcel shelf there's like to outer notches, so..

Two areas were like this on the boot, both have the little metal spikes and the notches on the parcel shelf meet up with it.

Now when boot closed matches up level and stops parcel shelf movement up and down over bumps, who knows if this is right but all kinda makes sense  ;)

See the notches on the shelf here kinda, this also shows the fresh boot carpet from Pete. (cheers Pete)

Engine bay now all sorted, missing one jubilee clip from boost pipe which is in the post.

Put my wheels on with some new centre caps, car and wheels still need a proper clean, I've raised the coilovers to what should be a good drivable height.

Rich helped me reseat my exhaust with new clamps/hangers and it's sitting much higher and nicer now.

Built up the courage to open the NOS mats haha, also got some mudflap 'polo' inserts of Pete which were brand new and slightly modified them to fit the mats, looks quite smart.

Fixed my heater, just need to get my radio working as it's stuck showing 'code' again even though i've already put it in  :(

Thanks for reading.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 08:13:09 am by Jester »

Offline schneil

• Members
« Reply #142 on: January 10, 2016, 04:39:35 pm »
Another update,

Bought these random sponge things of here a while back, didn't really know where they went... however noticed on my golf today it the same things to stop the parcel shelf tilting up and down over bumps, looking at my g40s boot I noticed to sticky areas and on the parcel shelf there's like to outer notches, so..

Two areas were like this on the boot, both have the little metal spikes and the notches on the parcel shelf meet up with it.

Where did you get the sponge thingys from?  I'm missing them as well and I hate the shelf rattling on bumps

Offline Jester

• Members
« Reply #143 on: January 10, 2016, 10:20:31 pm »
I got them off here about a year ago, can't exactly remember off who but they were practically brand new. you could probably make them yourself out of some very tough sponge, the parcel shelf doesn't budge an inch when they're on though!

I saw a polo on ebay with 16k miles on and even that had one missing!..so they must of all just evaporated early on.

Offline schneil

• Members
« Reply #144 on: January 11, 2016, 07:44:58 pm »
Yeah it might have to be a DIY job.  I found the part number though 871867759.
How do they attach, are they just glued on?

Offline Jester

• Members
« Reply #145 on: January 11, 2016, 10:40:34 pm »
Oh nice one on finding the part code, could be useful to some.. mine came with double sided adhesive tape on them.

Offline Jester

• Members
« Reply #146 on: February 16, 2016, 01:59:57 pm »
Well after many months of been tucked under it's cover finally got a fantastic day to take the G40 out  8)

Drove perfectly, exhaust occasionally catches on some bumpy roads but I'm hoping to get a full custom one built up in the near future!.. I got some pictures of it covered in dust and mud on my phone:

Rich got me some metal black wheel bolt covers too but haven't fitted them yet

Thanks  :P
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 02:03:06 pm by Jester »

Offline Jester

• Members
« Reply #147 on: May 29, 2016, 12:04:12 am »
Took the G40 out today for a bit, currently borrowing Rich's 14 RA's on 195/45 proxies which give a sweet ride.

Bit grubby but got a couple pictures of how it's sitting.

MOT time soon, done less than 800 miles this past year  :( :(

Offline Jester

• Members
« Reply #148 on: July 17, 2016, 08:27:14 pm »
So G40 went through it's MOT fine  8)

Gave it a wash and a proper polish as it's probably been a good year since. couple of pictures I got today:

I'd been craving another Coupe for a while now and one came up which was exactly what I'd been waiting for in terms of spec and colour + it's an extremely clean example (my mk3 golf was costing me too much so that's now gone)

Anyway I picked it up standard and I've literally just washed & polished, tidied, serviced it, put my 13 Ra's on with yokos'.  Here are some pictures of it

Pretty boring update  :-X

Offline Jester

• Members
« Reply #149 on: September 08, 2016, 07:17:39 pm »
Bit of an update,

Been looking for a set of new wheels for a bit, toying with the idea of 15's and quite an unusual set turned up for sale close by so took the plunge.

Here are some recent photos;

I'm loving the way it looks currently, was unsure on the white against red but it's grown on me...haven't driven it on them yet though  :-\

Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 06:38:08 pm by Jester »