Author Topic: Project Starts - Turbo  (Read 15409 times)

Offline xrrich

• Members
Project Starts - Turbo
« on: January 12, 2012, 09:15:46 pm »
Hi, :)
So ive owned my G for 2 years now and have been fortunate enough to get myself a daily, so i can do some proper work to the G.

I was looking at starting the project but really just for a bit of advice before i start.

Everything i know is from what ive done on the car and previous cars, learning as i go.
I will be looking at fitting a fast road cam but not really tackled anything inside of the engine as of yet. So will take my time and get advice along the way.

I would love to take the engine apart and rebuild it, but would like to know how to assess for wear, things to change etc. If it doesn't need replacing why replace it.. porting and polishing, bigger pistons etc

Just to get some ideas flowing for what i shall do.

For the cam, i want the engine to be as healthy as possible so want to know what to change with it, Cam oil seal, tappets, cambelt and water pump?

I know alot of you have a deep knowledge about these cars and i would like to delve deeper and learn moree! :D

If anyone can take some time to give me some guidance and help, it would be much appreciated, i am also searching constantly on the web finding out interesting things

Many thanks
Rich

Just a few pics to show you how my car has been coming on over the past 2 years, i have replaced alot of things, and enjoyed every min of it even when it leaves me on the motorway stranded

Gaz Coilovers :P

Leaky core plug :o :(

Charger Rebuild

Toothies :)

Manifold

Managed to win The Meguairs 10th aniversary competition, Had a really good day and got an advert shoot.:D
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.243644345658402.58897.137752586247579&type=1
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.252645534758283.60438.137752586247579&type=1
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.257816537574516.61439.137752586247579&type=1

SantaPod

Edition38

Polo Show RR

Subframe ;)

As it stands next to the daily :)

Thanks
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 03:15:36 pm by XRrich »

Offline SuperMario

• Members
Re: Project Starts
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 09:42:27 pm »
If you were to change the cam, id advise todo
the tappets with it. new cam and new tappets can wear together! and a cam seal is deffo a good shout!

As for the forged pistons, if your going that far into the engine i think you might aswell change the bigend bearings whilst your there! and the oil pump! £80 from vw iirc?  the last thing you'll want is to be taking you sump off again! 

unless your going to bore the engine out, forged pistons seem a waste of money! mabey just get some over bore piston rings from VW and hone out the bore?

after that, youll have yourself a strong engine!  taking it all on not knowing what your looking at tho! thats a bit dodgy if you ask me! good luck!

Offline xrrich

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 09:47:24 pm »
Thanks, Yeah, lots of research is in order...i will be doing about 6 weeks of engine build at college as part of my apprentership soon so that will help me out, tbh i dont think i will go into forged pistons etc but we shall see.

Thanks for comment
Rich

Offline SuperMario

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 10:11:26 pm »
yea that apprentaship will deffo help!

nice polo btw! always wanted a grey G when i was looking for one!

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 09:22:42 am »
bottom end - gaskets, big ends, mains.

BTW oil pumps are about £175 at vw!!!

Offline pettsy

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 09:21:00 pm »
BTW oil pumps are about £175 at vw!!!

i got one from vw for £120 last year

Offline Raw

• Members
  • It ain't dubbin 'less her thighs are rubbin'
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 09:21:33 pm »
If you're taking the head off and tappets out, you may as well reseat the valves and replace the valve stem oil seals.

And if you're taking the valves out you may as well clean up the ports & match the inlet manifold.

Maybe even check the flame face for straightness. A local job shop can do this if you're not sure, and could skim the head if necessary.

Andy

Offline xrrich

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 12:23:36 pm »
Ok cool yeah was thinking just take the head off leaving the bottem end
Best place to buy valves vw or would it be worth putting bigger ones in?

Thanks
Rich

Offline Raw

• Members
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 02:00:27 pm »
No need to put new valves in. You can just re seat the old ones with grinding paste - buy a kit including the "dibber" here for example http://www.amazon.co.uk/Holts-Valve-Grinding-engine-valves/dp/B004PZUW18

Offline xrrich

• Members
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2012, 05:53:35 pm »
Ahh yeah was watching a video on this yday so you can used the same valves, he attached a electric screwdriver to the underside of the valve lapping the valve that way looked abit vicious lol,

Offline Raw

• Members
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2012, 07:52:15 pm »
I think the manual way is safer! I'm sure I remember somebody telling me that it's important to change directions often (as you do with the manual "dibber" tool).

Offline xrrich

• Members
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2012, 09:04:17 pm »
Yeah looked a bit.... well didnt look right, how do you tell when they are seated correctly?

Offline Raw

• Members
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2012, 10:19:01 pm »
I'm not sure exactly.

You could try using some engineers blue (the kind that doesn't dry out) in the following way:

After cleaning the grinding paste off apply a thin smear to the valve seat and drop the valve back in, give the valve a little twist and withdraw, check there is a nice unbroken line of blue on the valve, look for any areas that are especial thin or broken. Work in reverse (by cleaning the valve seat and applying more blue to the contact area on the valve) to check the valve seat.

A word to the wise; when removing valves make sure the valves are clearly marked and get replaced back in the same ports (keep springs & collets matched also)

Offline xrrich

• Members
Re: Project Starts - Going Turbo!
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2014, 07:16:33 pm »
So, this was started but to be honest I’m not really much of a build thread kinda guy,

I’m am now going turbo , and from the research I have been doing I have found other build threads useful so I  thought I would share with everyone how I found the process

Current Spec
Jabba Air filter with heat shield
PPP Exhaust twin silenced
PPP Manifold Old shape
65mm PSD toothed pulleys
R1 Spec Charger
Boost return modification
51mm Throttle body
GT inlet manifold
G60 injectors
Big valve head + flowed  - PSD
Schrick cam
QUIAFE LSD

Think that is it...

Basically I was fed of my charger scroll seals blowing ever couple of thousand miles if I drove it hard.

Before things kick off I sent my front Gaz coilovers for a service as one was leaking, our fairly new addition to the family as well 5 month old fox red Labrador Rio  :)

So here goes.... the turbo battle begins, I have gathered some parts of the last month or so here goes

AS she stands at the minute

Here are a few bits I have collected

Rothe Manifold

KO3 with forge actuator

Downpipe

PSD Cam

PVL Switch

I will hopefully make a start this weekend

Offline xrrich

• Members
Re: Project Starts - Going Turbo
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2014, 08:34:52 pm »
So I did some work over the weekend,

Saturday I stripped from the car -  Charger, Intercooler, Radiator, Plastics, Bumper, Front beam, Sump, Subframe, passenger driveshaft, alternator, and block pulley.

She now looks like this :( .. looks so empty

I also fit new sump with welded oil drain for turbo

Tonight I have fit the new engine mount, pulleys belt and alternator back on, nothing too exciting, I also fitted a blanking plug for the old oil drain for the charger.

I couldn't resist so I “test fit” manifold and turbo and downpipe to make sure it all fitted ok etc