Author Topic: Spark plugs???  (Read 8644 times)

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: Spark plugs???
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2014, 09:34:47 am »
not really a problem as long as the fan comes on and it drops. 

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2014, 10:57:01 am »
Just seems to get pretty hot in traffic, goes really close to 110 degrees then the fan kicks in and it drops. It scares me so if I'm in traffic I stick the heaters on full :-)
Does anyone no of a lower temp fan switch??
The black temperature sender for the temp gauge is something like +/-20% tolerance on its reading, so if you couple that with aging wiring and aging components inside the gauge it's not a terribly accurate reading.

Just get used to what's normal for your car, and don't worry about it too much. You can always try a new black temp sender and see what that does.

Offline Merrick

• Members
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2014, 11:23:07 am »
Do you have a fmic? That could cause some overheating due to bad flow!

Na still running standard IC?

Offline Merrick

• Members
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2014, 11:29:29 am »
Just seems to get pretty hot in traffic, goes really close to 110 degrees then the fan kicks in and it drops. It scares me so if I'm in traffic I stick the heaters on full :-)
Does anyone no of a lower temp fan switch??
The black temperature sender for the temp gauge is something like +/-20% tolerance on its reading, so if you couple that with aging wiring and aging components inside the gauge it's not a terribly accurate reading.

Just get used to what's normal for your car, and don't worry about it too much. You can always try a new black temp sender and see what that does.

I'll try the one out of my cl. Thinking about it that always used to run really low temp, around 70 degrees.

Offline Matty!

• Members
  • G40 Clubsport Build / BMW M2
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2014, 10:34:13 pm »
I encountered the exact problem, dont worry about it too much as long as the fan kicks in.

I eventually got an Alloy rad and Oil Cooler, now the car will only strike 90' in long hot traffic, most of the time its running at 80'.

So its food for thought if you are worried about it, I only really did it as a belts and braces thing for this years 'ring trip.

Offline Jacque

• Members
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2014, 04:18:58 pm »
I have the same probl, in traffic watertemp tends to go 100°+  when driving, it never raises above 80°

Fan used to kick in when going over 90°+ but now it only comes on at 110° :s (so it still works) Most likely a problem with the sensor of the fan?? or something else?

Offline GR40

• Members
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2014, 04:43:45 pm »
The fan has two speeds! It sounds like the first one doesn't kick in at all! I think you need to look at it asap!

Offline Merrick

• Members
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2014, 04:54:41 pm »
Thinking about it I have only seen the fan come on at one speed. What would you say that is? Switch or fan?

Offline SamG40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2014, 07:48:55 pm »
I think the temp sender in the radiator starts the 1st stage so it could be that. Probably furred up with crap if you've not changed the coolant in a while.

Offline Merrick

• Members
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2014, 08:42:34 pm »
I've changed the coolant just a couple of weeks ago but I'll have a look at the temp sendor this weekend. Thanks!!!!

Offline Jacque

• Members
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2014, 03:37:33 pm »
The fan has two speeds! It sounds like the first one doesn't kick in at all! I think you need to look at it asap!

the fan (sensor) or temp sensor?

Been driving like this for most of the year (2K miles or so, never really got into traffic, so temp's stayed low most of the time)

i do notice it raises fairly quick when stationary (and warmed up)

as said above, fan only kicked in at 110°

Offline Merrick

• Members
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2014, 07:25:01 pm »
It seems like a lot of people's are the same. It still makes me nervous to see it up that high!!

Offline Merrick

• Members
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2014, 10:42:34 am »
Just changed the temp sensor with one out of my cl and the fan still doesn't kick in till just over 100 degrees. Do they use the same fan switch? They do look the same???

Offline Jacque

• Members
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2014, 02:29:35 pm »
my mate (works at a VAG dealer) also stating that its probably the fan switch, not temp sensor (in my case)

Offline Merrick

• Members
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2014, 05:10:20 pm »
I've now also changed the fan switch and the fan does seem to come on a little sooner about 105 degrees. It would have seemed to me that it was the fastest speed too???