Author Topic: Boost return mod [breather pipe]  (Read 4539 times)

Offline AdzCM

• Members
Boost return mod [breather pipe]
« on: August 19, 2011, 09:00:25 pm »
i decided to tackle the boost return mod today and since the inlet manifold was in the way of the one way valve, i fitted the gt inlet manifold aswell.

my question is, what way do you have the 1" hose/ oil catch tank fitted? the inlet manifold seems to be in the way so my 1" hose is kinked.

does it matter if its kinked as long as there is a little space for whatever fumes get released??

any pics of where your 1" hose and oil catch tank is fitted would be a great help :)

cheers, adrian.

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
Re: Boost return mod [breather pipe]
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 09:40:09 pm »
If it is kinked it will not allow it the engine to breather properly, happened to me. I used a 25mm-15mm reducer silicone pipe then fitted a 15mm pipe from that to my catch tank. It fits perfectly between the inlet manifold too. You want a pic?

Offline AdzCM

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 10:52:23 pm »
Yeah mate, please. There is a gap where it's kinked. I take it that's not enough? Where'd you get the 25-15mm reducer and 15mm hose? Took me long enough to find 25mm hose :s lol.

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 11:39:01 pm »
Sorry it was 25-16mm like this one

http://www.viperperformance.co.uk/productsearch.php?xscId=2977&mat=104&filter=25-16%20mm

15mm hose fitted inside. Came with my oil catch tank. Only cheapo hose though mate.

Offline AdzCM

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 12:30:37 am »
Cheers mate. If u get a chance, cud u get me a pic to show how u routed your pipe from breather to oil catch tank? Would be a massive help...

Offline SamG40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2011, 12:49:50 am »
If you use a reducer you are still making a restriction. I just popped the breather pod off and turned it so the outlet pointed in the direction I wanted the hose to go and put it back in. If you have any kinks in it you'll cause yourself some issues.

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2011, 01:11:38 am »
Mine breathes really well at the mo and its been on since march. Never had a problem.

Offline AdzCM

• Members
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2011, 12:44:16 pm »
If you use a reducer you are still making a restriction. I just popped the breather pod off and turned it so the outlet pointed in the direction I wanted the hose to go and put it back in. If you have any kinks in it you'll cause yourself some issues.

does the breather pod just pull out? Could u just twist it in a direction you want? That would definately be handy...

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2011, 01:41:50 pm »
Yeah you should be able to point it any direction you want.

Offline AdzCM

• Members
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2011, 02:05:30 pm »
Ok, cheers mate, I'll try that today!

Offline ereeiz

• Members
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2011, 04:54:13 pm »
I never used a tank when I did it on my first one. All I did was took the breather off and stuck a £5 filter on it. Never caused me any problems. I don't mind the smell of oil though and washed the entire car (including engine and bay) 2-3 times a week at the time. I never really saw the need for a catch tank.

How much oil collects in there for all you that have them out of interest? It's another thing on my to do list but I'll be happy with a coke bottle with the lid drilled 8)

Offline Dan-G40

• Members
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2011, 05:57:18 pm »
Is it a popular mod this? I found when I did it to my last G it sounded great for a day or two then the noise just started getting on my tits!

Plus you lose the stealth factor ;)

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2011, 10:43:16 pm »

Offline AdzCM

• Members
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2011, 01:57:42 am »
thats a neat job jezza. i ended up running the pip through the middle gap of the inlet mani and ran it to the right hand side of the engine bay. no kinks now which is good.

ereeiz, that would have been handy to do rather than tryin to run a pipe all over the engine bay. the pipe ive fitted makes it look a bit untidy. ive noticed a kind of condensation in the pipe after a short drive. wouldnt call it oily...

Offline ereeiz

• Members
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2011, 10:49:02 am »
I reckon I'll do the same again, just haven't got round to measuring the pipe diameter, I happened to have a random filter lying about before which fitted. I did it on my Golf not my Polo so I'm not sure if I extended the pipe which would help, or if I just bunged it on the original pipe. I'll let you know how it goes whenever I finally do it.