Author Topic: other upgrades with an eaton  (Read 7432 times)

Offline vwmk3jon

• Members
other upgrades with an eaton
« on: October 11, 2008, 09:06:13 pm »
I don't want a turbo before anyone asks! Lol.

I'm getting the following: m45 snubnose charger, fmic, all boost pipework, eaton cam, chip, red injectors, larger throttlebody and toothed pulleys. I've also got a oil cooler to hook up.

I'm also planning on upgrading the following:

Internals - upgrade to 1308 bottom end with forge pistons. New water pump with belts.

Brakes - new disks and pads 239mm (pagid) with braided hoses & 22mm master cylinder.

New gaskets all round.

What else would I need to think about?

Might get a subframe and LSD funds allowing.

juan

Re: other upgrades with an eaton
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2008, 11:04:51 pm »
I suppose you could get a big valve head, what exhaust system are you running, a PSD/ppp 4 branch and full 63mm system would help also the eatons create quite alot of heat so a nice big intercooler or a good chargecooler setup :). but yep a subframe & lsd would really help

Offline vwmk3jon

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2008, 11:18:37 pm »
I was considering the bvh but unsure of the best place to go.

Exhaust is a 421 manifold and system, can't remember make.

The intercooler is quite sizable so should be upto it.

Gotta wait till I get my money so I know what I've got to play with. I do know it's £2.5k+

Offline G4O LP

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 02:08:58 pm »
Jon send me a pm I know a guy that does great BVHs for a reasonable price as far as BVH go. and LSD by the time its fitted and gearbox rebuilt can be in excess of 1k a subframe with that kind of power would be a wise choice. Bottom end being sorted you can get non forged pistons for a 1308cc rebuild which obviously becomes a lot cheaper but if your going for forged pistons why not go for a 1341cc rebuild?

Its scary that by the time you have got a 1341 bottom end a BVH and a subframe your looking at over 2k already. Owning a G is far to expensive.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 02:17:52 pm »
to be honest, I'd put an LSD and subframe on the list well before increasing bottom end capacity etc... the difference those two make to the actual speed of the car is huge.  They are underestimated modifications if you ask me and probably two of the best things I've done to my g40 over the years.  I'm only running about 150bhp-160bhp.  I first put a diff in several years ago, before sub frames were available for sensible money (only option then was salzmann which is $$$$ or figure out how to make your own).  That alone makes the car much faster in real-world terms traction off the line is greatly improved and you can carry much more speed round corners without spinning the inside wheel.  Then the addition of a subframe to that makes things even better in terms of keeping the wheels in the right position during cornering and off the line.

Offline G4O LP

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 02:19:40 pm »
Couldnt agree more with what hayesey said to be honest exactly the same for me.

Offline lance

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008, 02:31:53 pm »
yea mate scrap the big valve head idea an go for the lsd

Offline vwmk3jon

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2008, 02:45:05 pm »
well i defiantely want a subframe (although i do like lighting the inside tyre up on corners if the passengers nervous!) I'll look into a LSD but it all depends on price and then finding someone who'll fit it around my area.

Maybe i'll leave the BVH until the things up and running. Thanks for the offer, i'll keep you in mind incase i get more money than im estimating.

Owning a G is, i'd agree, bloody expensive but its just too much fun to drive and the amount of interest i get in the car is unreal.

I spoke to a guy at SE autoworks whos ex-psd and he said a larger bottom end would be a good idea as the standard item could go pop. Although a 1341 would be good, i wanna try and keep it reasonably reliable (like its gonna happen!!!)

Offline G4O LP

• Members
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2008, 03:24:22 pm »
There probably is, but i have never heard of anyone with reliabilty issues with a 1341 bottom end. the BVH is the last thing i got for mine.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2008, 03:43:44 pm »
1341 should be reliable till the cows come home unless you are doing sometihng silly with it such as putting a much too big turbo on.  I've heard of a 1308 being done before but I have no reason to believe that should be any more more reliable than a 1341. The reliability comes from the forged pistons which are much less likely to fail than the standard cast items are.

G40LP : can you sent me your contact for a BVH?  I'm currently looking into getting a head done.

Offline vwmk3jon

• Members
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2008, 04:39:30 pm »
the 1308 was what the guy at SE autoworks suggested but then he went on about turbo conversions so i kinda stopped listening for a lil while then! He also mentioned that there was a number of different rebores available upto the maximum 1341.

Anyone have a ballpark figure for a 1341 rebore? seen the one for sale on cp. might be interested in that if i can find someone to fit it who wont want a small fortune!

Hayesey - if you ring the 'contact' for bvh's, let us know what kind of price he's after please.  Can keep it in mind then for future reference.

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2008, 12:00:39 am »
1341 pistons start around £500 +boring, plus the costs of bearings and then anything else you want to replace - i.e. oil pump, etc etc. I really is how long is a peice of string.  I think the psd ones were like £1500, but that did include new knock sensors etc.

Offline vwmk3jon

• Members
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2008, 11:41:05 am »
I'll have to look into this. I can do without the car for a little while for the work to be done if the other half can get outa bed at 615am!

Would the car run ok on standard internals etc if I was gentle? Come on georgio, what's been your biggest headache?

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2008, 12:05:11 pm »
There's only one way of finding out really.  cast pistons aren't as strong as forged ones and are also more prone to having faults and imperfections inside them.  It's these faults that can cause problems when you start running lots of boost and high rpms etc...  Short of removing your pistons and x-raying them you can't know if they are full of faults or not.  I'm going to be sticking with 1272cc and stock cast pistons for the time being with my turbo conversion but I am bearing in mind that this is not ideal and am not going to start going mad if the bottom end fails at some point!  I have a spare (well, the spare is currently in the car, it will become my spare when I swap for what is my spare at the moment!) bottom end which will get forged 1341cc pistons when I can afford it.  In the meantime I will enjoy the car and not be too surprised if a piston or two fails.

Offline Max

• Members
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2008, 01:07:17 pm »
I run about a bar of boost on my 1272cc turbo but as Hayesey says, it wont come as a shock to me if the bottom end goes bang,  I will get forged pistons when I am forced to lol