Author Topic: Etches G40 (2)  (Read 55146 times)

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
Re: Etches G40 (2)
« Reply #135 on: August 25, 2014, 06:53:12 pm »
Did a little bit today, still waiting on stuff being delivered  but managed to get some done.

Pump and boost switch fitted (waiting on right angle nozzle adaptors for the pump)

Made a temporary mount for the bottle.

Need to crack on ready for thursday!

Offline dubstar

• Members
  • PY 'til I die
« Reply #136 on: August 25, 2014, 08:23:48 pm »
Impressive Tom, it's looking a beaut. Envious of all the shows you're getting to. It's my own fault, I need to crack on!

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #137 on: August 27, 2014, 10:18:11 pm »
Cheers Ross , I've been busy dude! Off the road in 2 weeks though :)

Tonight's activities, a good few hours went down. Including parts delivery of which 2/5 fit ! Bloody hell!

Stripped the old loom, added a few bits and wrapped that shit up.

Tapped a thread in my boost pipe for the .3mm jet with right angle bend

Fitted the bottle which had to be altered to avoid the bonnet

Everything is in order now

I've cut it close to the wire, will have to put the chip in the ecu (it's due to be delivered) before setting off tomorrow!

Offline JoeH

• Members
« Reply #138 on: August 28, 2014, 12:43:24 pm »
Did you put new seals on the injectors? if so where the do you get em from?

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #139 on: August 28, 2014, 12:54:47 pm »
New orings and pintle caps, got em refurb'd cleaned, tested and posted for £55 from Autotronix. Can post em out to em too, Clive is a really nice guy. Mainly deals with Mx5nuts lot which is where I got his details from.

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #140 on: September 27, 2014, 05:13:49 pm »
Right, lets rewind to thursday pre action 28th August. Drove down to sheffield with a massive air leak which was stripped threads on the inlet manifold, swapped it out for a g40 manifold and didnt leak. Was out testing the G at 22psi and had a boost creep which caused it to overboost at 7k rpm . Something went pop , reduced power and temps went crazy...

Last thing you needed at 2am day before a show!

Had a right laugh at Action but needed a recovery the 200 miles home, cheers AA

Fast forward to now (I've been on holiday in between)

Head off,

Untitled by t_etches69, on Flickr

by t_etches69, on Flickr

3rd cylinder

by t_etches69, on Flickr

Head Gasket - Went in 3 places!

by t_etches69, on Flickr

Plugs -- ends seem to have burnt significantly shorter

by t_etches69, on Flickr

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #141 on: September 28, 2014, 07:31:50 am »
Woah!! It's blow it to pieces! How much boost were you running before it did that?
Did you angle torque the bolts up? If seen head gaskets blow due to people not doing that and the uneven load can cause one to go pretty quick!
That's mad! Though glad it's only a head gasket and nothing worse :)
Was it genuine?

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #142 on: June 26, 2015, 01:02:15 pm »
Jesus - Just got the 120 Day warning for posting in here lol! Need to sort my act out.

Been very busy with work amd uni recently so not had much spare time for the G.

Current state it's in , no engine in , no front brakes , no front end ..... lol!

Managed to source some Calibra front calipers, goodridge hoses , grooved golf gti 256 discs and some what look like Yellow Stuff pads, so they will be on by the end of the week hopefully (cheers Martinn!). I've got the full set of Mk4 golf rear calipers to sort too but need a handbrake cable piece first, hopefully manage to get this sorted before it comes back onto the road.

Engine wise , the new BVH has been to Sheffield Engine Services for a skim, new stems and guides, 3 angle cut seats and a pressure test. Also got a new set of tappets for it too when i fetch it so should be nice.

Gearbox, it's out of the car waiting to be pulled apart. Got the diff ready to go in aswell as some other seals which I've collected over the past few months. Also got a custom driveshaft for the drivers side but I need a rattle gun to get the hub nut off or a scaff bar!

The K03s turbo I had sourced turned out to have a crack in the exhaust housing, so thats been off to Midland Turbos for a rebuild, new housing bearings and oil seals. Should boost solid now (fingers crossed).

I've been putting off doing the battery tray for too long now, probably the source of many snapped pedal boxes, so thats the first thing on the list after she's back on wheels. Pics to follow.

Need to get my arse in gear to see it ready for bugjam!

Calibra Calipers , Brembo 256 grooved vented discs, Hel braided lines and EBC yellow stuff pads.

Untitled by thomas etches, on Flickr

Untitled by thomas etches, on Flickr

Just sorted the clips out on the calipers and shes back on wheels. Engines been pulled and gearbox off ready to be dismatled!

Offline physicsfool

• Members
« Reply #143 on: June 29, 2015, 08:43:56 am »
Sounds like a decent to do list, I popped the VW11s on and bled the system. Made a world of difference. Maybe see you at VW fest again

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #144 on: June 29, 2015, 10:26:51 pm »
Yeah those brakes were decent Martin, these ones seem ok, just getting the clip on was annoying!

Wish I was there this year dude, I'm at Jap Fest this year spotting my next car haha!

Bit of progress

[/url]Untitled by thomas etches

Engine bay looking a sorry state, going to give it a pressure wash and stitch the chassis legs aswell as doing the Yoofington brace mod.

Engine nicely on the stand ready for a fuss over , collecting the head this week. Got a little problem with the pukka oil drain , it bloody leaks! Need to get another one made up, prob will be a few quid :( .

Thought the 256 brakes would fill the wheels a little bit more than they do! Everything needs a clean up though, check that dust out!

Special Delivery!  8)

Rebuilt K03s new exhaust housing every nut/bolt and seal changed. Even threw in a new actuator which I dont need. Should look nice with a fresh head and cast manifold though. Keep up the motivation!!

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #145 on: June 30, 2015, 12:24:58 pm »
Looks great, when did you move to Australia  ;D

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #146 on: June 30, 2015, 12:37:39 pm »
FlickR Problems :( Shall see what I can do haha!

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #147 on: September 15, 2015, 06:51:35 pm »
Uni assignment ( 9000 words) handed in which leaves me free till november when I start up again!

First couple of tasks are all structural, stitch both chassis legs in the engine bay plus weld in a yoofington support on the passenger side. Then it's time to plate the bulkhead around the pedal box and replace the battery tray! Pics to come this weekend hopefully!