Author Topic: Etches G40 (2)  (Read 55280 times)

Offline z3i

• Members
Re: Etches G40 (2)
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2013, 08:09:27 pm »
Looking really smart! enjoying the updates :)
is the manifold custom made?

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2013, 08:26:03 pm »
Manifold and downpipe is off Phil J , had the downpipe adjusted so that it fit better with a stage 3 frame and a full custom 2.5" exhaust :)

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2013, 12:26:45 am »
Todays Update,

Gearbox was literally clogged full of muck and grease.

90% of a can of Gunk and 5 kettles of boiling water, then about 2 hours of drilling with wire wheels;

Used the rest of the can to clean the engine bay , not great but good enough for me

Had a look at my old turbo, the shaft can be moved about 7-8 mm and there is oil in the boost outlet. Thanks to Paul for sorting me a newer one. Managed to clock the turbo using a rubber mallet and then swapped over the actuator and new studs etc.

Needed to trial fit it to make sure it was clocked in the correct position;

Wiped the gearbox with turps and prepped for paint

Cleaned the turbo up with the wire wheel and turps too, still undecided wether to spray it yet

Gearbox and mount sprayed with 2 coats waiting for another tomorrow

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2013, 10:23:58 pm »
Put the turbo on the manifold , cleaned the dizzy which refuses to get any cleaner (N) and sorted out a new vw thermo housing and stat. Chucked the throttle body on too, just waiting for the boost switch to come back from a mate off Club G40 (calibrated to 6 psi) . Ordered a fair few bits off the eBay and stuff from ECP but will update with them when its all here

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2013, 09:59:12 am »
Nice clean engine!

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2013, 03:15:42 pm »
Cheers Andy, too bad the dizzy isn't coming up clean enough. It's not meant to be a show car so I'm happy :) , although the actual shell its going in isn't the best haha

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2013, 07:11:25 pm »
Todays updates;

Recent purchases, which also includes some BP8EVX NGK Plugs

Race fuel pump, Bosh Lambda, Spal Performance 11" Slimline fan, then service bits.

Had to make some brackets for the new fan, used the metal from the slam panel I had going spare.

Also painted the radiator brace bar I got of Dan Knight a while back which will be going on

Then heatwrapped my downpipe which was an absolute mission by myself, the cable ties supplied wern't long enough for 2.5" downpipe so I used wire intially then used jubilee clips to secure it well

The dye from the wrap after I had soaked it went everywhere, good thing its water based tbh!

Offline metz

• Members
« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2013, 08:47:25 pm »
your'e making a decent job of this. look forward to seeing the finished article.

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2013, 10:01:40 pm »
Yesterdays update as Club G wasnt working;

Todays had a fair 8 hours plus work,

Flywheel with new bolts clutch then gearbox on in front of the motor,

Engine in

Subframe and everything on underneath bar the downpipe, that and the turbo will get chucked on tomorrow

Today's :

After a trek in the peaks came home and fitted a small slot of work in;

Turbo went on

Then dropped her down , first time since oct . Just need a few more bits before shes running.

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2013, 09:17:34 pm »
 Todays updates,

New racing fuel pump and inline filter comparison

New Header tank

Sorted out the Rest of the boost piping and switch etc

New fuel stuff on

Its ready run although I chucked some coolant in and it pissed out the thermo housing so I'm going to get a new oring tomorrow

Offline DKnight

• Administrators
« Reply #55 on: April 16, 2013, 09:45:56 pm »
great read this, only just seen it!

what fuel pump did you go for?

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2013, 09:58:57 pm »
Small update, went to start her up today and appears the starter motor I had spare is fooked. Another buy needed cos kays Polo had my G40 one!

Fitted a magnetic sump plug

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #58 on: April 28, 2013, 09:34:37 pm »
Right, not updated this in a while as I've been so busy!

Got her running after changing the starter motor, sounded ok a little smoky but the oil pressure light came on.

Then this happend ;

stripped the t-piece threads, ordered a VDO one to replace it from vw heritage.

Was shitting myself thinking everything had gone to pot as my oil pressure gauge read terrible figures. Nath managed to get a mechanical

pressure tester which had readings of 85psi when cold at 18psi warm, so that cheered me up.

So wen't to start her and drive away but I couldn't engage the clutch, assumed it was the self adjusting clutch so got a manually adjustable one.

Still couldn't engage the clutch, this was 10AM on thursday and I was due to leave for Big Bang on friday.

Decided that the only route for the problem was to take the gearbox off (90 mins later , subframe, drive shafts, exhaust engine mounts, gearbox and clutch plate) were off and I had put the friction plate on the wrong way wrong !!!

So Swapped the clutch plate round, changed the foobared release bearing too and chucked it all back together in 5 hours and after un seizing the rear brakes the G had its maiden voyage!

Only have the boost kept at 0.5 bar with the actuator for the run in period, managed 50 miles driving around before the trip down to big bang.

Also picked up this for an absolute bargin, just need to get 2 x 0.5mm injectors for it!

« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 04:08:06 pm by Etches »

Offline gaz g40

• Members
« Reply #59 on: April 29, 2013, 09:05:55 am »
Awesome job man car look brilliant nice tidy engine bay aswell