Author Topic: My gearbox mount cracked!!  (Read 10240 times)

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
Re: My gearbox mount cracked!!
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2011, 08:04:09 pm »
And are your other engine mounts OK - i.e. not too worn and putting extra strain on the rear mount?

Oh forgot to say that im just about to replace them all.

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2011, 08:23:15 pm »
This goes to show the inportance of CE & BS certified items, whether it be engine or chassis related. You would have trouble in a accident investigation getting a payout if dodgy parts are found to be the root cause. Thats why I paid extra for KW's, TUV approval cetificate with them...

No- CE Certification can be self certified- it shows neither quality or consistency in the manafacture of components, just mearly that they meet a set of rules.

What you actually need to do is engineer the part properly, and undertake a thorough test procedure.

From memory KW coilovers are only TuV approved down to -60mm, so your current setup, probably isn't  ;)

Offline Nick_S

• Members
  • 189.6 bhp @ 8psi boost
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2011, 09:29:44 pm »
Mine is about 60mm down, still got the helper springs in and its no lower than the 60 Gmax kit I had on before.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 09:33:15 pm by Nick_S »

Offline cheys03

• Members
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2011, 09:52:26 pm »
Oh forgot to say that im just about to replace them all.

Might have had an effect...? As youngprodigys quite fairly points out, we may be unfairly jumping to the wrong conclusions, hence my questions about the mounts and usage. From memory though, wasn't there another PPS frame with broken welds like this?

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2011, 09:57:42 pm »
Yeah i believe it was antony's (dub-diaster) frame. iirc he sent it back to them and got a new one?

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2011, 10:04:02 pm »
Thats true but before i took it off, it appeared to be straight and looked ok. But the welds do look crap on the g/b mount. The subframe welds are better than the gearbox ones but who knows how long they last. To be honest i don't wanna find out.

Offline youngprodigys

• Members
  • G 3URO
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2011, 10:53:50 pm »
yer the weld does look bad, nothing a welder wouldnt fix!
and if you wana sell your old subframe id be more then willing to buy it! im sure the rest of the welding on the frame should be much thicker then what was on that mount

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2011, 08:24:28 am »
IIRC this is the second PPS frame with cracks though isnt it?

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2011, 10:42:22 am »
i think both products are quality, although ive not run a PPS frame for more than 4 months, the PPP frame fitted on the G40 was fitted for a good few years and bar some scuffs on the bottom from bottoming out, all welds looked OK but tbh i didnt investigate too much. i did have a knocking on braking but this was resolved by a new rear gearbox mount.

im sure if you spoke to Norm, he would be happy to supply a new gearbox mount, and im sure on the other side of the fence, Andy and Yoof would aswell.

yes its scary but as its a simple fix and with high-performance cars you should check the quality of your suspension components on a regular basis.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2011, 10:58:32 am »
well I certainly know I'd not want to be driving about with parts that are proving themselves to be prone to falling apart.  Fixing it afterwards isn't much good if a part fails at 70mph on a motorway - I doubt you'd be in much of a fit state to be doing anything with a fixed part. 

I know this might seem biased because Andy & yoof are good friends of mine but I'm yet to see any such reports about their subframes. 

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2011, 11:18:44 am »
Lol this is exactly what happened to my frame, I was never happy with the quality of the old or new frame I was sent and there's a thread with photos to prove it !! I learnt my lesson with this as said earlier in this thread "buy cheap buy twice" I'm not knocking the bloke that makes them but one cracking fair enuff honest mistake but two cracking in the exact same places and in the same way is kind of suspect, I know what I would be doing in your situation jezz.
  Dunno if you saw the last thread about them but have a gander search for pps frame see what you think of the pictures of the old cracked mount and the welds in the frame and the new frame  might help you decide what to do.

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
  • Probably the oldest G driver in the Universe.
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2011, 02:55:11 pm »
I've got a PPS frame and in truth I was quite happy with the weld quality in as far as it was purely a visual. The  Mr. Blobby efforts other folk have had is now giving me cause for concern. I know Norm at PPS has been quick to replace a suspect frame, pity he hadn't been a bit more careful with what he put out in the first place. I reckon I'll be pulling mine for crack testing. That in itself will fuck the real price up beyond the PPP frame. 

Offline Justin14100

• Traders
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2011, 03:41:19 pm »
Jezz just send him an email, sure he will replace it and it'l be fine.

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2011, 05:32:31 pm »
IIRC this is the second PPS frame with cracks though isnt it?

The frames ok, just the g/box mount.

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2011, 05:35:38 pm »
Lol this is exactly what happened to my frame, I was never happy with the quality of the old or new frame I was sent and there's a thread with photos to prove it !! I learnt my lesson with this as said earlier in this thread "buy cheap buy twice" I'm not knocking the bloke that makes them but one cracking fair enuff honest mistake but two cracking in the exact same places and in the same way is kind of suspect, I know what I would be doing in your situation jezz.
  Dunno if you saw the last thread about them but have a gander search for pps frame see what you think of the pictures of the old cracked mount and the welds in the frame and the new frame  might help you decide what to do.

Already spoke to yoof and he is sorting it out this week for me, well to get one on order as he hasn't got any in stock currently.