Author Topic: No power to in-line Fuel pump  (Read 3054 times)

Offline 10pin

• Members
No power to in-line Fuel pump
« on: November 28, 2010, 07:29:42 pm »
Right im almost finshed on my conversion and im having trouble with the in-line fuel pump

bascally theres no power getting to it however the in-tank one primes

i know the fuel pump works as ive put power through it and it pumps ok

ive looked at the wiring diagram in a Haynes manuel and it looks like both pumps are connected with the same positive and negitivve

there was an alarm fitted to the car but ive cut out the wires and connected the positves back together

i would like to know if it would be possible to conect the positive and negative fomr the intank to the inline one so it can get it working!

they do use differnt size wire tho, the intank one being smaller than the inline one but would this be a problem?

im guessing that theres a break somewhere between them

any info would be great!

also the relay is good as the intank pump works

cheers!

Offline cheys03

• Members
Re: No power to in-line Fuel pump
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 07:48:35 pm »
From memory the feed for the two pumps splits to go to each pump underneath the dash. Poke your head under the dash in the passenger footwell near the bonnet release lever. You'll see a yellow and red wire splitting into two smaller diameter yellow and red wires - one is for in-tank the other in-line. Check this connector for the in-line and start tracing the cable back. It runs throught the boot floor to get to the in-line pump.
I wouldn't want to wire the in-line up to the in-tank without first checking the existing wiring - especially as the in-line draws a fair bit of current you might be putting too much load on the in-tank wiring.

Offline 10pin

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 08:44:53 pm »
Yeah ive tryed that plug where it splits into too ive got the dash out as ive replaced the interior loom

thats what i was thinking if i wire the inline one into the in tank one as by having thicker wire i guessed it took more current so i thought it would ask about it

i will try tomrow eveing to trace them for breaks i guess it means cutting open the plastic tube they run in

its really annoying as the alarm was half cut out when i got the car its causing so many probelems

if i have no joy could i just run fresh wires to and from? just unsure where the negative goes i will have to look tomrrow

cheers!

Offline cheys03

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 09:20:59 pm »
Sounds good, good luck.
Negative will be any convenient good earthing point on the chassis.

Offline Turbodaily

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 11:26:32 pm »
Have you checked that the 2 relays are working? Next to the engine ecu.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 09:40:52 am »
both the inline and lift pump run off the same relay so if one is working then it suggests the problem isn't there.  I reckon tracing the yellow & red wire for breaks is the best bet.  Also make sure the pump has a decent earth.