Author Topic: Creaking noise  (Read 1186 times)

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
Creaking noise
« on: October 07, 2010, 11:19:43 pm »
Not really sure where to put this, as I've got near bugger all idea what's causing it.

Among its many strange creaks and rattles, the G40 has started making a rather loud creaking noise recently and it's worrying me a bit.

It sounds like it's coming from behind/below the centre console, at the back of the engine bay. It's a repeating creak, but I'm not convinced it's something that's rotating as it's not totally regular.

Most of the time the noise happens when I turn left, I get a creak-creak-creak as I'm cornering and it goes as I straighten up. If it does it on a corner it then makes the same noise (once) as I let the clutch out.

I know my top mounts are ropey as fuck, they're due to be changed on Saturday, but unless that's letting parts of the steering mechanism slip out of place so they rub I can't see that being the problem.

My guess is the rear engine/gearbox mount has had its day. Or it's loose, at least. And that the creaking is the engine moving around on its mounting. Not a massive issue to fix I guess.

Any other suggestions?

Another thing to note here is when the car's cold there's a knocking from under the car, which sounds like the exhaust tapping on something, and the gearstick wobbles in neutral while it's idling. It only does it when it's been left overnight, the idle is ever so slightly rougher when it's cold. If the engine mount was hanging, I guess it'd give enough slack for that slightly rough idle to move the exhaust around and let the gearstick wobble too.

The car's running really well otherwise, very smooth with no other noises to worry me.

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
Re: Creaking noise
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 07:42:14 pm »
Thinking this might be the exhaust rubbing where it's not meant to now. Still might well be engine mount related tho.

Offline hardchargin40

• Members
  • Older, Wiser, Greyer.
    • The Roadster.net
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 10:25:55 am »
Check you haven't got one of the U bend exhaust clamps orientated in such a way that it'll catch, poss more so with a deteriorated rear mount.

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 04:31:28 pm »
Missing exhaust rubber, it seems.  ::)