Author Topic: picture request timing pointer / marks  (Read 1471 times)

Offline newt

• Members
picture request timing pointer / marks
« on: October 18, 2010, 07:51:03 pm »
any one able to take a pic of the lower timing cover ? i would like to see the bottom crank pulley timing marks in relation to the cover/ pointer , i can remember timing my old g40 s up to a little metal bracket that stuck out, my current car has not got this and there is no marks on the lower cover, so nothing to time it with! :'(
have looked on etka at g40 and cant find the "timing pointer " listed ,
i had a look at a mk2 golf 1.3 on etka and found a part listed as "timing pointer" 
auto data list the engine as being timed up to the marker on the crank pulley
any one got an engine out at the moment that they could possibly turn to tdc and take a pic?#

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: picture request timing pointer / marks
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 07:59:51 pm »
don't have any pictures but there should be a metal pointer sticking out of the back timing belt cover just above the bottom pulley.  And then 0 and Z marks on the pulley itself.  However, it wouldn't be the first one I'd heard of with the timing pointer missing.  Easiest thing to do really is use a dial gauge with a long pointer on it poked down the spark plug hole to find TDC on cylinder one.  Failing that try and buy a pointer off someone or buy a new inner timing belt cover from VW (as I dont think they sell the metal pointers anymore, just plastic covers with a plastic pointer), but that does mean taking the belt off!

Offline newt

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 08:06:43 pm »
don't have any pictures but there should be a metal pointer sticking out of the back timing belt cover just above the bottom pulley.  And then 0 and Z marks on the pulley itself.  However, it wouldn't be the first one I'd heard of with the timing pointer missing.  Easiest thing to do really is use a dial gauge with a long pointer on it poked down the spark plug hole to find TDC on cylinder one.  Failing that try and buy a pointer off someone or buy a new inner timing belt cover from VW (as I dont think they sell the metal pointers anymore, just plastic covers with a plastic pointer), but that does mean taking the belt off!

thatks for confirming , just what i thought, need the mark to set ignition timing lol so dial guage wont help ,
taking the belt of is not an issue for me, ill speak to vw and price up a new lower cover

thanks

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 08:29:42 pm »
you still use the TDC mark for ignition timing, use a dial gauge to find TDC and then make your own mark on the timing belt inner cover and bottom pulley (if both marks are missing).  There's apparently another mark on the flywheel which you can see through that plastic cap on top of the gearbox but I'm not sure what that mark looks like, I've never noticed it on a flywheel even off the car.