Author Topic: Quaife diff bearing housing too small !!  (Read 5388 times)

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
Quaife diff bearing housing too small !!
« on: October 02, 2010, 12:55:03 pm »
Started fitting my quaife today all was going well untill I went to fit the second bearing inner race to the diff (speedo drive ring side) the housing for the bearing is to small tried the old bearing and both new bearings on it and they jus slide on by hand and I can rotate the innermost race of the bearing on the shaft . Soo pissed of as it was all going well untill then I though quaife stuff was top qualty didn't expect this at all. Just wondered if any one else had problems with there quaife atbs ??
   I shall be ringing them up Monday and in sure they shall rectify the problem just means more inconvience and even more time before I can run my car again. Little annoyed as when you pay almost £600 for a brand new diff from a decent manufacturer you expect quality obvoiusly not !
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 03:25:03 pm by dub-disaster »

Offline Nick_S

• Members
  • 189.6 bhp @ 8psi boost
Re: Quaife diff bearing housing too small !!
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 05:22:05 pm »
Just been to fit mine after reading this earlier, and I too have exact same problem >:( I even managed to pull the new bearing back off again with my fingers! Its the bell housing side diff bearing seat which is the problem, box side is fine. I used new VAG bearings too. Looks like Quaife will have to spec up and supply some new bearings which would probaly be cheaper than re-tooling the diffs which have gone out.

PM me your diff serial number and I will see if its near mine. I bought it 12 months ago but not fitted it until today.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 05:59:41 pm by Nick_S »

Offline Nick_S

• Members
  • 189.6 bhp @ 8psi boost
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 06:03:51 pm »
Reading Dan Barnes fitting guide in the FAQ's, he says his just tapped the bearing on with the palm of his hand once it had been heated. The bell housing side one was the same for me, but on the other side I still needed to use a bit of hammer persuasion.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 08:20:54 pm by Nick_S »

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010, 08:07:27 pm »
As you say nick it's bell housing side that has cause the problem it's sloppy as fuck I can pull abd push it on and of and rotate it with my fingers as you say. I'll be ringing them asap Monday morning.
  I also used genuine vag bearings abd they don't fit ! The one on the other side was a good fi I used a press to fit mine as I've got one at work n it makes life realy easy  :P
   I bought mine in club lupo group buy so more than likley they will be very close on manufactur dates I will post the serial when I get home later. But I'm rather annoyed as this is a baisic thing that I though quaife would know how to do !! Even worse it's not just mine as they can't just send me a brand new one there going to either has to find a new bearing fix the diffs or they will just sugest using bearing fit but that is a major bodge that I ain't happy with !!
   Where did you find the serial number as the diffs at work n I can't find it on any paperwork I've got . Still got the guarentee though thankfuly :) 

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2010, 08:14:11 pm »
Hmm, will have to see if I can find an old race kicking about in my garage and try in on Pete's ATB that I've had in a kitchen cupboard for the last year waiting to be fitted.

Offline Nick_S

• Members
  • 189.6 bhp @ 8psi boost
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2010, 08:16:10 pm »
Here is the problematic bearing end on one of Dan's photos:

The serial number is etched on the side of the diff, its not on any of my paperwork. Got mine in the C.L group buy too.
You could probably get it to bite by roughing up the two mating faces with sand paper, but if it lets go somewhere down the line you wouldn't know until too late. I've seen the damage a slack fitting bearing can do to an OEM diff housing, not good.

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2010, 10:47:37 pm »
I think it's pretty crap that they've let at least two of there diffs out the factory like this, dan didnt seem to have any problem with his though. Although he said it fitted on easily he hasn't mentioned any problems.
   We will see what they have to say monday morning .

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2010, 10:53:32 am »
Dunno if Dan has driven the car he has put the diff in yet. I'd be concerned if the bearing race isn't tight, if it spins it'll make a mess. Be interested to hear what quaife say about it.

Offline Nick_S

• Members
  • 189.6 bhp @ 8psi boost
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2010, 01:19:22 pm »
If they suggest using a Bearing fit/retainer, then they're still going to have to honour the lifetime warranty.

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2010, 01:47:26 pm »
if they suggest using bearing fit ill defiantly consider asking for a refund a getting another diff to be honest. i got a quaife because its fit and forget not fit and keep claiming on the warranty ( wich obviously means taking my box in and out wich is exactly what i was trying to avoid.

Offline Puncharado

• Members
  • Back on the road in 2010! No, 2011! Maybe.
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2010, 12:45:15 am »
Very interested in what they have to say, as I was planning on getting one too.

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2010, 01:25:51 pm »
Quick update, phones them up this morning I spoke to a man called dave and he said the last batch they made all had this fault in the machining of the bearing housing. I mentioned about yours nick and he was suprised to hear that one that was purchased so ling ago had this defect I got the purchase date down on my guarantee as the 5th of march, when was yours nick ?? He said the faulty batch was made in may !! Think somone mist have been not paying attention when machining these and then they all must of slipped through quality controll if there is any!
    But in there defense they have sorted a courier to come collect it today and I should have a new one sent to me by the end of the week exellent.
     When I said about yours nick he told me to tell you to email him direct I had to even after phoning him, I think it's so they can document any problems with them. His email is dave@quaife.co.uk
       Hayesey I'd get out there n check petes one when did he buy it he didn't get it in club lupo group buy did he ?!

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2010, 01:31:50 pm »
he got in it some group buy or other, not sure which.  Fairly sure it was earlier than May though, I think it's been in my kitchen cupboard since before May.

I'll measure it up tonight. 

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2010, 01:43:40 pm »
twas over a year ago - but was in club lupo buy - the same as Nick_s's  so high probability its a bit poo!

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2010, 01:45:58 pm »
feck!

I'll let you know tonight.