Author Topic: Quaife diff bearing housing too small !!  (Read 5386 times)

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
Re: Quaife diff bearing housing too small !!
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2010, 03:04:04 pm »
The press fit bolts get buggered if you fit then remove them from the quaife as it's super hard the little splines on the bolts get flattened as you fit them so Im now £18 out of pocket for 6 bolts !!! Thanks quaife :(

Offline Nick_S

• Members
  • 189.6 bhp @ 8psi boost
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2010, 06:45:12 pm »
Mine is deffo an early one, from the same batch as Pete's and Dan Barnes's.

I'll get in touch with Quaife. Damn, I'll be loosing 6x press fit bolts and a new VAG diff bearing! Can you remove bearings safely without bending them?

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2010, 07:52:13 pm »
From measuring pete's it looks like one side is about 0.5mm undersized.

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2010, 08:12:29 pm »
 well mine is from that same club lupo group buy so im geussing the same batch, maybe it sat on a shelf longer but im geussing same batch. Unlucky pete looks like youll be giving them a phone call aswell ! Hvae you ung them yet nick ?
 and yes i managed to get the bearing of without damaging it they have nice slots under either side of the housing so you can get a bearing puller underneath. i did mine with he 2 part clamp type ten put i between two bits of angle in the pess at work popped of no problem no damage to the bearing but as i said the bolts look pretty chewed up mite get away using them again but i doubt it.
   I did fire off an email to this dave at quaife and asked if they fancied covering the cost of the press fit bolts aswell seeing as if the manufacturing defect was to blame for me needing 18 quids woth of new bolts.
  The courier picked mine up today at 2pm they have been very helpful to be honest doubt ill get them tocouh up for the bolts though i thought it was worth a go al they can do is say no.
  Let me know how you guys get on ill let you know when i get my new diff if the old bolts will grip enough for me to tourque up the nuts

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2010, 08:27:29 pm »
Assuming they'll probably just replace the top cover i'd have left the bolts and bearing on. Or did they say they'll replace the entire unit?

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2010, 08:38:28 pm »
Bit naughty of Quaife not to do a recall on a dodgy batch of parts - but at least they're sorting it for people!

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2010, 09:22:29 pm »
  Funny andy i was thinking the same thing earlier i thought there would have been a recall especials as you have to register when you buy for the life time warranty so it snot like they havnt got our details. but the bloke on the phone did seem like they thought that all the defective ones where from a more recent batch and that he knew about most of them or thats how it came across i may be wrong though. Maybe they where just waiting for people to find out in there own time !! But asyou say they are sorting it although i should think so aswell with a baisic error like that and a lie time warranty
   Hayesey yes they asked for just the bare diff back unfortunatly as i did think about leaving them in.From hat i gather tey have to replace that top cover but ithink any being replaced will just be replaced with ones of the shelf for a quick turnaround but dunno how many they keep on the self.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2010, 09:46:28 pm »
I didnt think they kept them on the shelf, hence the need for group buys to get them

Offline Nick_S

• Members
  • 189.6 bhp @ 8psi boost
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2010, 10:41:55 pm »
Too late for me to ring when I got home, so just emailed Dave instead. Hopefully I'll get a call back tomorrow.

Seeing as all these are essentially still new, I bet they just remake the defective piece and re-sell them. I doubt they have many on the shelf, so will have to do a recall now.

Offline Puncharado

• Members
  • Back on the road in 2010! No, 2011! Maybe.
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2010, 11:45:19 pm »
I didnt think they kept them on the shelf, hence the need for group buys to get them

You can just buy one, £687 inc. VAT. Group buy of 10 brings prices down. I can't say if they are available off the shelf or made to order though. At least now I know about this potential problem before I get one.

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2010, 06:08:17 am »
I think they keep a few on shelf as dave said to me he would just swap it with a new unit of the shelf, maybe they had a couple made up incase any more of these defective ones coming back.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2010, 09:41:10 am »
well it looks like they're going to get more than just a couple coming back!

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2010, 09:58:15 am »
Recieved my new one Thursday looks havnt measured it up but I will be fitting it early part of next week I shall keep you all posted.

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2010, 09:00:03 am »
Bearing housing correct size, managed to usethe press fit bolts again they touqed up ok and I locktited them in. Even got away with out having to get a new fitted washer as my free play was 1.63-1.64 and ny washer was a 1.95 mm.
   Diffs all nicley fitted up now just gotta paint the box rebuild the motor and slot it back in :)