Author Topic: *edit* how to get more power off boost?  (Read 7310 times)

Offline Justin14100

• Traders
Re: *edit* how to get more power off boost?
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2010, 08:36:34 am »

whenever I make changes to the G40's engine capacity, these are meant to think of driving pleasure in many horses on the road, doing usually about 9 or 10 litres/100km .. consumption of six litres/100km here we do with stock G40 with only one compressor preparation ..

sorry there was a calculation mistake
38mpg = 7.4 liters/100km
40mpg = 7 liters/100km.
i have a few modifications on the engine but not many, i always intend to keep the car as "usable" as i can when making any changes.

Offline GR40

• Members
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2010, 08:43:01 am »
I haven't seen less than 11lt/100km for too long now  :'(

Offline Alexiskayak_7

• Members
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2010, 10:54:27 am »
It's time for new sensoooooors!!! :P :P :P

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2010, 12:37:29 pm »
I used my Polo daily for the best part of a month, and always managed at least 30mpg (9.4L/100km) per tank of fuel - even when driving it hard, including down the drag strip! The best I got was 41mpg (6.9L/100km) on the motorway. Not bad considering it's turbo'd and running 21psi of boost.

Offline SamG40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2010, 01:15:52 pm »
I think if you are bothered that you are getting less than 40mpg you are driving the wrong car! One of the things I like about the G is that it relatively sips at its fuel for the performance you get. Even when I hammer mine I never get below 30mpg and I think thats really good.

Offline Justin14100

• Traders
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2010, 03:10:28 pm »
I think if you are bothered that you are getting less than 40mpg you are driving the wrong car! One of the things I like about the G is that it relatively sips at its fuel for the performance you get. Even when I hammer mine I never get below 30mpg and I think thats really good.
oh dont get me wrong - its just i need to get that kinda mpg to be able to afford to keep it for this year (last year at uni) but ive had the mpg real low at times when i was flush ;) high speed cruising, b road thrashing, track trips and 40 mpg economy runs. why own anything else?

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2010, 03:16:52 pm »
be cheaper to buy an old peugeot 306 HDI or something similar, drive that and garage the g40 for a while wouldn't it?  Also keeps the miles off the g40 meaning it wont lose value or get worn out.

Offline G40supercharged

• Members
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2010, 11:24:18 pm »
You are looking for better efficiency rather than increased power. Increasing compression ratio slightly with the metal head gasket should help fuel economy. Using the standard G40 inlet manifold will be better than a wide bore GT one. 

The most difference is down to driving style. I can get my Ibiza turbo over 40mpg average if I drive like a granny on a long run. Following lorries works really well. If I put my foot down up hill the short term mpg figure on the computer can drop to less than 5mpg. Get a boost gauge on the G40 if you haven't already got one. It's a good indication of how much fuel you are using.

Offline Justin14100

• Traders
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2010, 08:15:42 am »
be cheaper to buy an old peugeot 306 HDI or something similar, drive that and garage the g40 for a while wouldn't it?  Also keeps the miles off the g40 meaning it wont lose value or get worn out.
possibly, thought about running my old 1l fox again; saving miles on the G? not much point, its done 180k already so its due a rebuild (oh how long do oil pumps last?) so not really bothered much about the miles - have no intention to ever sell it unless i desperately need the money (ever) ;)

You are looking for better efficiency rather than increased power. Increasing compression ratio slightly with the metal head gasket should help fuel economy. Using the standard G40 inlet manifold will be better than a wide bore GT one. 
Get a boost gauge on the G40 if you haven't already got one. It's a good indication of how much fuel you are using.
been toying with the idea of a G40 manifold - do you think it would make much difference? as in if it cost £30 would get get its money back in fuel? i wasnt sure it made a huge difference or not, not much experience with it!

boost gauge is a good idea yeah, been thinking of a TIM turbo guage cause its got the colours on it:

so it kinda shows the economy with the colours (kinda ;))
thanks for the advice - just a good time to get it running real sweet i spose new sensors and cleaned injectors ect. 40mpg is really good for a G i know but if i can get it more without reducing power ill be a happy man!

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2010, 09:59:30 am »
Did you ever swap your induction kit over for a standard air box? That would help with the mpg.

Offline Justin14100

• Traders
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2010, 10:21:00 am »
Did you ever swap your induction kit over for a standard air box? That would help with the mpg.
Yeah I did a while ago - induction kit was back on for my nurburgring trip and the mpg was deffo worse with it on high speed cruising

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2010, 10:29:39 am »
My induction kit isnt too bad, i can get between 300-350 miles on a tank.