Author Topic: Sump baffles and paint  (Read 2217 times)

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
Sump baffles and paint
« on: October 05, 2010, 10:35:13 pm »
What's the best thing to paint the inside and outside of a sump with in going for a change from back to another colour ao I can see any oil leaks (just incase) is it stone chip on the outside and any oil resistant paint on the outside ?
   Also whilst it's there is there a basic sort of baffle I can weld in it I was thinking maybe two bits of plate with notches cut out of them sort of like a castle pattern upside down would this work or would I be better of with a different design any one got any simple designs I could try out ?

Offline Puncharado

• Members
  • Back on the road in 2010! No, 2011! Maybe.
Re: Sump baffles and paint
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 11:39:14 pm »
Painting the inside sounds like a bad idea to me, bits of paint flaking off into your oil isn't what you want! The oil itself is protection enough against corrosion.
There are windage trays on ebay.de from time to time, you could make something similar yourself. These will guide the oil above toward the pick up, but won't eliminate oil surge on those long left handers. Simplest baffle would be a plate with perhaps three cut outs in the bottom, you want to allow the oil to move from side to side and mix, but with more of a trickle rather than a slosh! Another option would be a trap door in the baffle, only allowing oil to flow toward the pick up but not away. You could weld windage plates into the sump as well.
This is all theoretical mind, I've not done it myself and haven't actually had a good look at many. I really can't say what the best option for a G40 is, perhaps some of the trackday and motor sport boys will know what works.

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 08:54:46 am »
Just thought I'd paint the inside again as after welding it I was going to blast it and paint it. It is painted black from factory isn't it, mite get it powedercoated.
 Im thinking of maybe one or two plates in the middle with holes drilled in it ? I'll also keep my eye out on eBay.de
   Im only intrested in baisic baffles or windage tray as I'm chainging direction with my car I'd like to get out there and have a crack at some track days any other baisic things that I will need to do track days that I can add into my build whilst the cars in bits ?

Offline demolover

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 03:53:01 pm »
Just check it isnt leaking from welding and paint the outside as said you don't want to chance any paint/coating coming off and mixing with your oil and causing you issues.  No one sees it and it so it doesn't have to be pretty.

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 06:14:38 pm »
It's got some marks and scratches on the inside of the sump where I had to beat out a dent I suppose I'll just leave this n hope the original covering doesn't start to flake off. Just wondered if any one knew what they used origianly must of been some tyype of paint / coating not to worry.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 09:51:04 pm by dub-disaster »

Offline vwmk3jon

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 10:12:06 pm »
Slap some black hammerite on the outside. Should do the trick