Author Topic: G40 losing coolant after long run  (Read 7811 times)

Offline GSBellew

• Members
Re: G40 losing coolant after long run
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2010, 11:47:04 pm »
Just a thought, I see you say that you've flushed the cooling system but did you take the rad out to give it a real good go? It may pay to reverse flush the radiator particularly if it's the original as they do silt up over time. I reckon it's also worth doing the heater matrix (pipes disconnected) then reflush the engine (thermostat out) to give it all a really good clean.
It'll only cost you a bit of time (apart from another bottle of antifreeze!) rather than keep replacing bits uneccessarily, might be worth a try?
Good luck.

Remember I suggested this before, I reckon its got to be worth a go.

Saw your suggestion alright and it was what had got me thinking about re-flushing it properly.

I flushed and reverse flushed the radiator with the hose, then put it back in and ran some radiator flush through it, I decided that for the €1.82 it cost in Halfords with the trade card that it had to be worth trying  :D

I had to run it without the thermostat in to circulate the flush around the system, then flush with water (flushed rather dirty looking water out of it!) and run it with water and no stat to rinse it, rather than leaving it sitting on idle for ten minutes I took it out for a run and it didn't loose a drop of water, ran very cold obviously due to the lack of the thermostat, so I won't really know till tomorrow when I drain it and put the thermostat back in if its going to be ok or not.

Offline SamG40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2010, 07:46:21 pm »
How did you get on with this in the end? This is pretty much what I've been experiencing.

Offline GSBellew

• Members
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2010, 10:48:51 pm »
Thought I had it sorted after reflushing the radiator etc, was fine for a 200 mile motorway run but I pulled over to take a call and it pumped the coolant out of the overflow  :(

I think the new thermoswitch is screwed too, as its not switching speed one until over 100 degrees and is not switching the high speed on at all. I did the return journey the next day with the fan wired to run constantly and it was perfect and its not lost any water since once the fan is running.

So I'm not sure if I have a borderline headgasket or a dodgy thermoswitch, its back in the garage for the minute as I've not had time to do any more on it  :(

Offline SamG40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2010, 10:26:37 pm »
Well I changed my radiator and took the car down the motorway and temp went north of a 100 degrees straight away so I still had the problem. I will say that the new radiator appears more efficient as the temp dropped quicker than with the old one on. However the temp was still going too high so I booked the car into the garage down the road from work for them to do a leak down test. They confirmed the headgasket had gone which was the only thing left along with the water pump which is less than a year old.

I whipped the head off on Friday night and I've picked it up from the machine shop after a skim. The headgasket appeared fine but there was obviously a small amount of water getting into cylinder three. I'll get some pictures up before I put the head back on. Hoping it will all be tickety boo when I get it back on. Might be worth your block tested.

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2010, 10:45:11 am »
Just spent a while reading this but if it was still losing coolant it might be the water pump itself. I replaced mine a few months ago, put all new coolant and water in etc and i kept loosing coolant after long motorway travelling. I kept topping it up and then one day i found where it was lekaing from. It was the pump itself. I asked vw to have a look, only as it was a new pump with new o-ring. They had a look, changed it as it came under warranty and they said that in the pump there is a bearing and if it isn't sealed correctly then it will leak. The seal on the bearing had failed on mine and this was the problem.

Of the last 2 things i have bought from vw (in line fuel pump and water pump) both have failed on me but luckily they came under warranty.

Offline G40 AD

• Members
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2010, 01:50:12 pm »
humm... i've had a very mild coolant loss ever since i first rebuilt the G ...
(which turned out to be just ths charger seals that were causing it to smoke... not the HG at all but did the water pump at the same time genuine vw jobby)

going to change mine now along with the rad and see how we get on! anyone know if the rad is G40 specific?
also are the thermostat housing collar that runs to the rad pipe available from vw? never got it sitting 100% flush after replacing the housing and stat...

cheers Ad

Offline Puncharado

• Members
  • Back on the road in 2010! No, 2011! Maybe.
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2010, 03:50:26 pm »
Yes, rad is G40 specific, 867 121 253 AB.