Author Topic: running badly- found the problem I think! GSF PARTS = SH1T3  (Read 7055 times)

Offline youngprodigys

• Members
  • G 3URO
running badly- found the problem I think! GSF PARTS = SH1T3
« on: September 27, 2010, 09:35:11 pm »
hi guys,

I think I have found why my engine runs badly- I replaced a blocked breather pod after I was getting steam out the rocker cap- no steam/smoke now:-) but it runs crap, and today I decided to get to the bottom of it, I removed the plugs and they were wet and dry black. so I cleaned them up as it wouldn't fire to run and this fixed it - it ran but lumpy as hell so I removed the plugs again and they were black wet and dry. and I had smoke coming from 2 of the cylinders. so I put a long screwdriver down there into the combustion chamber and found a load of black sludge on top of the pistons.

im hoping this is the oil breather problem rearing its head again - as im guessing this is the oil condensation which was coming from the sump through the rings and then eventually out the rocker.
because i havent ran the engine since i did the breather pod change (not long term- just enough to see it was fixed) im thinking it is all the old oil condensation mixing with unburn fuel/carbon deposits to create the sludge.

how do i get rid of it??? i dont want to remove the head as i cant be arsed, what products can i use to clean it out?????
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 10:31:17 pm by youngprodigys »

Offline lance

• Members
Re: running badly- found the problem I think! what engine cleaner???
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 11:26:08 pm »
forte is good for stuff like that mate. id prob fill the cylinders with degreaser leave the plugs out put a cloth over the plug hole and turn the engine over on the starter. bit messy but it should shift alot of the stuff in the cylinders. also flush the engine a few times to get all the nasty emulsified oil out.

http://camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b13s4323p484&rs=gb

Offline youngprodigys

• Members
  • G 3URO
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 09:56:42 am »
il give it a shot mate, got the day off so I'm about to get on my crutches and walk to the shops. cheers dood:-)

Offline youngprodigys

• Members
  • G 3URO
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 03:03:48 pm »
well ive cleaned as much as i can but it still runs rubbish - for sale G40 engine

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 03:20:02 pm »
haha - if you search posts by Youngprodigys  I bet 50% say for sale in them.

But you still keep it mate - i'm sure it'll be something and nothing!

Offline youngprodigys

• Members
  • G 3URO
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 03:41:08 pm »
your right - I bet half do. but this time I've had enough. I've ploughed so much money into an engine which won't work. time has ran out now, I've sourced the engine crane and il start breaking this engine up 2nite.

you can only go so far before you snap

Offline lance

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 03:56:48 pm »
you'll regret it mate your car is sooo nice. you say the plugs are going black and you clean them and they are black again. sounds like its flooding the engine with petrol, have you tried another ecu on the car? i have had a gt that was doing the same and it was due to a water damaged ecu

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010, 05:01:09 pm »
how can the plugs be both wet and dry?  If they are sooting up then it suggests over-fuelling, has the engine been properly mapped yet?  I know Andy has done some work for you, sounds like you need to spend some money on some serious mapping time.  Othewise, just stick a standard engine into it and make it more of a show car. 

Offline youngprodigys

• Members
  • G 3URO
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2010, 05:28:43 pm »
the plugs are wet and dry, dry black soot on the end and wet black stuff further up the plug. Andy has done some mapping yes- but after then I changed the breather pod as it was breathing through the head. 3months without it moving I have come back to start up what I thought was done has reverted back to square one. this is the only thing stopping an mot. after all this trouble I have had enough of this shit engine and something which actually will work is required

Offline youngprodigys

• Members
  • G 3URO
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2010, 08:04:08 pm »
plugs are jet black dry now. i will post up a video of it tomorrow. it really is a complete mystery as it has not been adjusted or anything since andy mapped the idle - if anything its now WORSE!!!! i dont understand - it hasnt been touch and has sat in the garage, what could have caused this to happen?

i changed the fuel tank 2weeks ago after i put a hole in it - surely that wont make it overfuel like its doing???

Offline lance

• Members
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2010, 08:28:23 pm »
after you have sorted the breathing problem out the map will be out no so will need looked at again, also try a new lambda and blue temp sender. since i put mine on dta management its been spot on runs smooth never misses, it just to hunt up and down the revs at idle prob due to the isv but now no problems at all! good considering you can get 2nd hand dta e48exp ecu for about 200 quid now!

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2010, 08:43:55 pm »
Got your text. Does it still start and idle fine? Or has that changed?

Your plugs are going to get covered in shite - the engine's been stood for a long time, and there'll be a fair degree of moisture in the oil and fuel. My own car ran like a sack of shit after not using it for 6 months, usually takes a good ragging followed by a fresh tank of fuel and an oil change before I'm happy with things after a lay-up like that.

Lots of cold starts with it overfuelling will eventually poison the plugs too. Sometimes you can resurrect them with a blowtorch, but when doing my Emerald conversion and mapping it I got through 2 sets of plugs as my starting point was so far out that the rich mixture quickly fucked a set of plugs beyond redemption.

If you're not already using them, then I'd try using a new set of NGK plugs (as they're much cheaper than Bosch, and equally as good) and see how it goes.

How old's the fuel that's in the tank now?

Offline youngprodigys

• Members
  • G 3URO
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2010, 09:10:34 pm »
it starts - but just like before as soon as you touch the throttle it dies instantly. (co is still at the 450 you set it at) both blue temp and now lambda are new.

right - so what plugs should i buy? NGK but where from and what part number?

fuel in the tank is brand new - i had to change the tank so its all fresh 1 day old optimax.

so what shall i do about all the shit that may be in it?? shall i remove the head and clean it up so its fresh??? shall i change the oil???

im wracking my brains - as the car is done - yet i cant get it to run....ARRRGGGHHHH

and BTW andy - im not in anyway saying your at fault, far from it! im pissed off i got it sorted and now im back to square 1

Offline youngprodigys

• Members
  • G 3URO
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2010, 09:23:20 pm »
oh and the car dies soon after it turns on, wont hold idle, is lumpy as hell- proper misfiring!

Offline lance

• Members
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2010, 09:52:24 pm »
NGK BP7EVX

try new plugs as andy says your plugs are maybe beyond saving now