Author Topic: Any one with a ppp stage 3 frame fitted  (Read 4727 times)

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
Any one with a ppp stage 3 frame fitted
« on: August 10, 2010, 08:53:13 am »
Fitting mine this week n just wondered if any one bothered drilling and re tapping the holes from m8 to m10 ?? Got some taps n a drill just wondered if it was worth while .

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: Any one with a ppp stage 3 frame fitted
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 09:31:44 am »
drilling and tapping which holes?  It's designed to just fit with the standard bolt sizes.

Offline cheys03

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 10:14:01 am »
I think it's regarding:
http://www.clubpolo.co.uk/forum/index.php?s=&showtopic=77066&view=findpost&p=727271

"It would be advantageous if the existing M8 anti-roll bar mounts are drilled out and re-tapped to M10, if you wish to do so, our kits will accommodate this. It is not a necessity, but has been advised - if you feel you don't have the mechanical ability to do this, we can get it done for you and have the car set-up at an additional cost."

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 10:36:26 am »
not read that before, I've had no problems so far with standard m8 size ones.  Up to you really.

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 11:06:53 am »
We did this on the first frame- which was fitted to a cup car running 15" circuit slicks.

I'd reccomend it if running something near to the above, if not the standard M8 will suffice.

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 11:21:06 am »
I'll stick to the m8s thanks guys

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 08:15:13 pm »
Ok almost finished fitting it this afternoon  left all bolts loose so got a bit of play to make things fit and loosned of arb mount on drivers side wich helped alot but the passenger side arb mount bolt holes are put by about 2mm and the tca mounts about 2mm out aswell.
    Should I be trying to pull the chassis around to make it fit the frame, if so how'd you guys do this?? Or if I drill it a little should I be drilling the frame to fit the holes or the holes to fit the frame ( obvoiusly not drilling out arb mount as it's threaded or was till I probably destroyed it trying to get the bolts in !! )
    Ive removed the bar the raditor sits on so the chassis rails are pretty free floating and can be pulled around a fair bit should a ratchet strap be employed to pull it the in a little n male the holes line up ?

Offline lance

• Members
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 10:09:19 pm »
i must of been lucky my frame flew on no worries! no fighting with it at all it fit perfect

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010, 10:16:20 pm »
My two tca mounts had one little bobble on each bit like a round headed rivet but couldn't see it did anything other then get in the way so I removed them !!

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2010, 10:46:16 pm »
Yeah the TCA bobbles are more profound on some than others, if they're causing a problem, tickle them with a grinder (but remember to re-paint/underseal afterwards).

Once you take the rad bar and bumper iron off a Mk3 the chassis legs are amusingly free- I usually use a small rachet strap to pull the legs in if required, it takes worryingly little force!

Lance- mine flew on too, but it only takes a light tap to a curb (which 50% of these Polos have probably had over their 15+ years) to knock them out slightly.

1 or 2mm is fine, the clearance for our frames is only 0.5mm (M8 bolt) but we'd rather they're tailored to suit each car and fit nice and tight, rather than go on really sloppy and don't do much for chassis ridgidity.

Hope this helps,

Pete

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2010, 11:22:06 pm »
Don't have a grinder so I just filed them down bit pikey but I need the car back together now. Forgot to repaint them must do that 2mro I'll have a go with a small ratchet strap see if it makes my life any easier.
 Whered you put the strap yoof around the outer wings n just put a little pressure on it ?

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2010, 07:34:12 am »
Basically where the rad bar goes, if the strap has hooks either end then clip them round the two pannels spot welded together at the bottom of the wing/chassis leg, other sections are too thin.

Pete

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2010, 10:24:40 am »
After Reading another post on here aboutthis subject. I think my back axle isn't straight as I've set the frame up with the same wheelbase measurements as before but I can see the struts aren't at the same angle.
     Is there a way to get the back axle dead straight and lined up nicley as I've got to have it of for a refurb any way so getting it back on straight would be realy helpful. Is it even adjustable or is it that it's bent and needs replacing ?
    As for the frame I think it's great quality and I can realy see what it does now as the struts are held in position much better and the castor angle has changed to a more positive angle. Only problem I had was my chassis wasn't dead striaght and couldn't get an Allen key on the rear arb mounting bolts so changed em for hex. Can't wait to see what it drives like now !!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 03:43:11 pm by dub-disaster »

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2010, 04:13:16 pm »
you can adjust the axle mounts, when the three bolts that hold each side on are loose you can move the axle about.  Honestly can't see how you'd DIY it without having access to four wheel alignment gear, my suggestion would be to get it bolted together and then take it somewhere who knows how to do proper four wheel laser alignment and knows how to set castor and camber properly.  If you are paying less than £50 for this you probably aren't getting a proper job.  I've paid £70 for a full setup (car up on ramp and being worked on for an hour and a half) and £40 for just a front wheel setup.

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2010, 04:17:40 pm »
Think Ill do that then cheers for the advise hayesey