Author Topic: Supercharger oil?  (Read 12415 times)

Offline domisgar

• Members
Supercharger oil?
« on: August 10, 2008, 06:17:50 pm »
Hi guys
Ive got a stand alone oil system n using an upgraded brass geared pump.
[attachment=106]
Been looking of the best oil for the charger bearings and stumbled apon this, it called GM supercharger oil.
[attachment=107]
Has any heard of it and using it? Or what is every1 eles using and pros n cons of the oils?
Cheers guys
Dom

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: Supercharger oil?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 06:19:57 pm »
no idea about the oil, I guess it'll be designed more for Rootes blowers and Eatons but it might be OK.  To be honest, just normal engine oil will be fine.  

That's a nice pump, can I ask where you got it and how much it was?

Offline Alexiskayak_7

• Members
Re: Re: Supercharger oil?
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 07:40:11 pm »
As hayesay said ONLY in eaton and lysholm charger. It's super sythentic oil ( it has awful smell) and  it need replacement every 50.000km (for your charger good).

PS: It sounds kind like i'm your dad but do not touch it with bear hands, use always gloves. Also i use GM oil products in my G and i'm very satisfied...

Offline domisgar

• Members
Re: Re: Re: Supercharger oil?
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 07:56:21 pm »
Ive just heard ppl using thinner machine oil? as the normal engine oil was 2 thick for the little electric pump. is it ok for the high speed charger appilcation?
Just trying 2 find an oil which is best 2 pro-long the life of the charger!!!
ebay theres a company called easy_flow_pumps.
it was a bit pricey at £86.99 with p&p! but well worth it, tho it needed a few bits 2 get it 2 fit the oil lines and the bailey pre oil filter.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: Re: Re: Re: Supercharger oil?
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 09:36:29 am »
I use machine oil in my stand alone, it's just the same stuff I use in my compressor.  Shell Helix oil of some sort.  But really, I only do that because I am using a fuel pump in my stand alone kit and using thicker oils would overwork it.

I think since you've got a proper oil pump you should just use a good quality engine oil, it will be the best thing.

Offline domisgar

• Members
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Supercharger oil?
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 09:42:45 pm »
You make a very good point! the charger was designed 2 run and engine oil.
Thanks guys.

jonboy

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Supercharger oil?
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 08:49:13 pm »
im thinking about having a go at making my own stand alone oil system, but i dont really know where to start!  Im on a tight budget, so am hoping to use a diesel fuel pump, to pump the oil.  what sort of flow rate would i need, will i have to regulate a derv pump down, what other bits will i need? oil reservoir etc, any help much appreciated

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Supercharger oil?
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 09:49:32 pm »
I just use a Facet fuel pump, not ideal but does the job as long as you use thin oil and they only cost about £20.

jonboy

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Supercharger oil?
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 05:05:04 pm »
what other bits will i need? i presume a reservoir off some description and some hoses.
How did you power the pump? did you have it on a seperately switched circuit or did you have it so it will start running as soon as the ignition was on.  will i need to use a relay for the pump?

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Supercharger oil?
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008, 05:10:17 pm »
I use an old motorbike oil tank as the reservoir, cost next to nothing.  A lot of the expense of the PSD stand-alone kits was the gucci aluminum tank.  

How you wire it is up to you.  Personally, I used a 12v relay switched by the ignition feed which also switches the fuel pump and ecu relays on with the high-amp side of the relay powered directly from the battery.  Just requires a 12v relay, some wire, a fuse.... that's about it.  When I start the car, I turn the ignition on and let the pump run for a few seconds until I see oil pressure start to rise on the gauge I have connected to the oil outlet of the charger before starting the car.  That way you know the bearings are in oil before spinning the charger on the starter.

Offline G-spot

• Members
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Supercharger oil?
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2008, 05:21:07 pm »
[quote pid=3414 author=hayesey date=1219162217] I turn the ignition on and let the pump run for a few seconds until I see oil pressure start to rise on the gauge I have connected to the oil outlet of the charger before starting the car.  That way you know the bearings are in oil before spinning the charger on the starter.[/quote]

Nice touch that, and a dam good idea too..... think one or two more may copy that !!

jonboy

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Supercharger oil?
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2008, 05:29:45 pm »
thanks for the help hayesey

jonboy

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Supercharger oil?
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2008, 06:19:50 pm »
did you require a small oil cooler for your system hayesey? or is the reservoir sufficient to disipate any heat generated

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Supercharger oil?
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2008, 06:43:47 pm »
I dont use a cooler, it seems to stay relatively cool really.  Cooler than the engine oil gets.

jonboy

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Supercharger oil?
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2008, 06:50:36 pm »
ok cool, one final question! what sort of size reservoir have you gone for? 1 litre, 500ml?