Author Topic: Boost leak??  (Read 2139 times)

Offline Jake G 4 0

• Members
  • Rebuild time almost over
Boost leak??
« on: June 22, 2010, 09:31:39 am »
Iv think iv found a boost leak somewhere, I was wondering what is the best way to trace and find the leak because it's only a tiny whistle at low revs but I can feel I am losing power. It might be on one of the jubilee clips holding the boost pipe on just before the theottle body but how can I be sure??

Thanks for any advice in advance Jake.

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
Re: Boost leak??
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 09:44:01 am »
boost loss is normally on the charger to intercooler pipe - if original it perishes.

Pete

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 09:48:36 am »
unclip the boost return valve linkage and start the engine.  Then, move the linkage to close the boost return (without opening the throttle).  Leave it closed for no more than 2 seconds but it should still be enough time to pressurise all the boost pipes and hear where the leak is coming from.  You can also sometimes spot where leaks are because there'll be signs of oil leaking out there.

Offline Jake G 4 0

• Members
  • Rebuild time almost over
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 03:52:11 pm »
Thanks for the advice lads, I have found the leak it was on the boost pipe before the throttle body from the intercooler. Although the other pipes are starting to age and perish so I was thinking about getting a whole new set of silicone or standard ones. Do you know any good places to go or you would recomend??

Many thanks jake.