Author Topic: lubricating charger with ptfe spray.  (Read 2572 times)

Offline spookey

• Members
lubricating charger with ptfe spray.
« on: March 19, 2010, 01:23:32 pm »
hi guys i just need some clarification on this. When i lube my charger with this stuff do i only do the blanked inlet side of the charger or do i do both sides (the blanked side and the inlet side?)
cheers Luke

Offline SamG40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
Re: lubricating charger with ptfe spray.
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 02:22:16 pm »
Its the same opening, so you only need to do one side.

Offline spookey

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 02:27:33 pm »
ow cool thanks for that.  ;D

Offline Olly G40

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 07:49:39 am »
Just thought I'd chuck this out there...

I spoke to a man from jabbasport and he was very anti boost return mod! More so, he did not like the spray! His arguement was they're designed with a constant oily mist blowing back in, as well as the oil feed. He reckons if we insist on getting rid of the boost return hose then your next closest alternative would be to squirt a little bit of engine oil into the charger every 600-1000 miles depending on driving style. Also, his reasons against the spray was the fact that as it's sticky any dust they may be inclusive would the act as a cutting compound! I see this as a fair point and I appreciate these people do this for a living so I'm gonna do as they say! Some may argue this but logically it makes sense to me.

Also the belts should be tightened to 100NM wich is actually FT! If you take out the O/S head light there's a 1/2" cut out for the torque wrench to sit in.

Hope this helps! Most people probably know this already but I didn't so I shall share...

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 08:30:09 am »
i think most people with a charger know how to tighten belts - no need to take the headlight out either - you can do it from the top.

Having taken about 20 or so chargers apart I would have to say that oil and dust - or dirty oil, act as a cutting compound just the same as ptfe and dust.  If anything the crap from the crankcase in oil vapour is even more effective at grinding.

Key to a healthy charger in my opinion is regular oil changes (i do mine every 3,000 miles) for the bearings and if you dont use boost return - oil vapour system - and decent filtration (i use paper filters, changed every 3,000miles).

I think part of the reason for their boost return mod (personal opinion) is
1. PSD were a competitor who suggested this - and g-werks who do it now are.
2. It shows up a lot easier when charger oil seals are weeping, so they'd probably have a lot more returns under guarantee.  With the boost return in place you dont see this weepage as the oil goes back in the charger.  With boost return it goes on the suspension turret.

ps - i've seen a number of jabba serviced chargers with oil seals, apex seals and bearings which don't appear to have been changed!!