Author Topic: Whats needed to go eaton?  (Read 10977 times)

juan

Whats needed to go eaton?
« on: August 01, 2008, 03:25:15 pm »
Just wondering, providing ive got charger and the bracketry pulleys and belts etc what is needed in the way of cams and injectors etc when going eaton with the view to produce about 140-150bhp?

Cheers,

Juan

Offline Alexiskayak_7

• Members
Re: Whats needed to go eaton?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 03:40:48 pm »
[quote pid=2893 author=juan date=1217600715]Just wondering, providing ive got charger and the bracketry pulleys and belts etc what is needed in the way of cams and injectors etc when going eaton with the view to produce about 140-150bhp?

Cheers,

Juan[/quote]

You also need new pipes for your pressure circulation, definately a front mount intercooler, new remaped programm for the ECU

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: Re: Whats needed to go eaton?
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 03:58:20 pm »
how come you want to fit an eaton if you just want 140-150bhp?  You can get that easily with the G-Lader.  190+ is possible with the G40 G-Lader.

But anyway, PSD used to sell an "Eaton spec" cam but they never published the specs as far as I know.  I would have thought the usual uprated cam for a normal g40 (a shrick of some sort) would still work fine.  To be honest there's normally a lot of other things to upgrade before you start looking at the cam such as head work, exhaust manifold, inlet manifold etc...
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 04:04:44 pm by hayesey »

Offline Alexiskayak_7

• Members
Re: Re: Re: Whats needed to go eaton?
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 04:05:52 pm »
[quote pid=2901 author=hayesey date=1217602700]how come you want to fit an eaton if you just want 140-150bhp?  You can get that easily with the G-Lader.  190+ is possible with the G40 G-Lader.[/quote]

REALLY? 190hp??? With a 40mm g lader? I thought that 170 was max...

juan

Re: Re: Re: Re: Whats needed to go eaton?
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 04:23:30 pm »
the eaton is a closed unit which should equal reliability, also i dont want to have too chop into the front of my mk1 polo that much which i would have to do with a g lader plus i love the whine of an eaton. i suppose the 150 bhp is all i want as i want the car to be reliable and anyway im sure it will shift with 150bhp, the money i save from not tuning the bollocks off it is going to go on a subframe and wishbone conversion which i think will make a nice little package. ps i sold my yamaha r6 too fund this project so im not that bothered about having the highest bhp or the fastest car just want somethoing reliable with a bit of oomph

i suppose i should rephrase the Q, so here goes : will i need a differnt cam or injectors to run an eaton at about 150bhp?

Cheers,

Juan

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Whats needed to go eaton?
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 04:37:16 pm »
ah yeah, I forgot you were putting it into a mk1!  Is the Eaton really any smaller than a g-lader?  I had one sat on a shelf at home for a while, if anything I'd have thought it takes up more space?  I guess it depends how you mount it, most I've seen have been lying flat with the outlet on the bottom so it sticks forward a fair bit.

You wouldn't need to change cams but putting some "G60 green" injectors in with a suitable remap would be a good idea.  You probably wont need the extra fuel but it's advisable to replace the 15+ year old stock g40 injectors, if they fail the results have been known to be pretty catastrophic!

juan

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Whats needed to go eaton?
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 04:47:24 pm »
yep the eaton is a bigger unit i think but i dont think it will stick as far forward as the g40 its longer than the g but not as fat so it will be a squeeze but hopefully it should slot in  it will probably foul the rad or ad fan cowling but that is easier to sort out rather than hacking up the front panel.

I am going to get the local engineer to make brackets for it from aerospace aluminium or stanless steel as  i did think about getting an awt kit but i have not read nore heard anything good about their kits so i reckon its better to chuck that cash at some good engineering work and get my own kit made.

i take it now psd have closed their eaton  kits are like rocking horse shit to get hold of?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 04:49:28 pm by juan »

Offline breadman

• Members
  • mk2 breadvan 1341 turbo sleeper (currently snoring
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Whats needed to go eaton?
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 05:27:49 pm »
IIRC, PSD only produced 9 kits! So yeah, rocking horse shit is about right!
I think it will be easier (ie less cutting of bodywork) to fit a G-lader. The Eaton is probably nigh on as deep as the G-lader, but due to its length the Eaton will cause issues with mounting the radiator and intercooler.

juan

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Whats needed to go eaton?
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2008, 05:55:32 pm »
anybody got a rotrex charger knocking about? lol

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Whats needed to go eaton?
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2008, 08:16:06 pm »
yeah Kam Cheung (fluxco on forums) put a Rotrex on his mk1 derby conversion, it was in PPC mag a while ago.  He did that purely for space to fit it in.  I've not seen him on here, he very rarely goes on Club Polo but he might answer a PM on there.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Whats needed to go eaton?
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2008, 08:16:43 pm »
oh and if you do PM Kam, tell him to sign up on here!

Offline polo classic

• Members
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Whats needed to go eaton?
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2008, 08:34:16 pm »
Go rothe turbo, it is easier and will yield more power. There is a reason why PSD stoped doing eatons over the K03's

juan

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Whats needed to go eaton?
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2008, 11:07:19 am »
would it be possible to flip the eaton say 90 degrees round? would it affect how it works as if it doesn't i think im probably going to do this so that the air exit is on the under side and not poking out the front then hopefully it should squeeze in the mk1

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
yeah, installations I've seen have them that way round.  I still can't imagine it needing less room than a g-lader though.  A K03 turbo will fit nicely though!

juan

yeah but k03's don't wine like eatons :( lol it looks like i may be going turbo as it fits well,

ps, does it cost alot to go turbo on a standard 1272cc g40 engine? and can it handle a turbo without blowing up?

what parts would i need? turbo, rothe manifold, down pipe, oil lines, turbo timer? also where is it best to get these bits?

lol sorry for all the Q's

Cheers,

Juan