Author Topic: heater fan  (Read 5450 times)

Offline kty50n

• Members
heater fan
« on: July 19, 2008, 06:39:13 pm »
hi all

heater fan is only working on speed 3, is this the switch or the fan?
where is the best place to start checking

thanks Keith

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: heater fan
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 07:05:19 pm »
it's the resistor which is on top of the blower itself under the bonnet.  It's in the middle of the scuttle tray to the right of the battery.  The resistor is the white thing with some wires pushed onto it and then bare wire coiled round it, what happens is the coiled wire corrodes and eventually breaks meaning the blower only works on full speed (where full 12v goes to the blower and the resistor is by-passed).  Easy to find in scrapyards but chances are they'll be knackered or pretty corroded anyway.  I don't think they cost a lot new from VW.

Offline G-spot

• Members
Re: Re: heater fan
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008, 09:47:39 am »
I think they are about £22ish from VW, I fitted a new one and it failed straight away, so I only run on speedthree now, I really should get to the bottom of the problem(motor I guess?)

Offline kty50n

• Members
Re: Re: Re: heater fan
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 12:42:15 am »
thanks for the help

Offline 86C

• Members
Re: Re: Re: Re: heater fan
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2008, 09:36:53 pm »
Often, the windings on the resistor are not the culprit here.
There's a small thermal fuse attached to the resistor, and this blows when the motor gets a bit stiff with age.
Rumour has it that you can buy the thermal resistor from Maplin's for much cheapness, and then solder it in yourself.

Offline G-spot

• Members
Re: Re: Re: Re: heater fan
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2008, 08:07:12 pm »
Often, the windings on the resistor are not the culprit here.
There's a small thermal fuse attached to the resistor, and this blows when the motor gets a bit stiff with age.
Rumour has it that you can buy the thermal resistor from Maplin's for much cheapness, and then solder it in yourself.

this is now this weekends task for me!