Author Topic: New Battery - Recommendations  (Read 6483 times)

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
New Battery - Recommendations
« on: October 01, 2008, 07:14:50 pm »
My car seems to be losing charge - so much that when taking a girly out for the first time the other night I had to bump start it. SMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTH

So am thinking a new battery wont hurt it.

What do people recommend - a bosch?

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: New Battery - Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 07:37:56 pm »
can't go wrong with a bosch silver really!  Although any of the batteries that come with a 5 year guarantee or whatever would be reet.  I have an exide one on my g40 at the moment.

Offline Gary

• Members
  • just one last thing....
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 08:04:36 am »
Yup definately would agree with a Bosch Silver. If you stay close to a Costco, they sell them, and they're a lot cheaper than buying from halfords or even a auto parts place.

Offline jimbugalee

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 08:52:16 am »
I've just bought one from VW - but I dunno how you tell if it's a good one?!  Basically I think it's just a Varta one but I wanted all the VW stickers on it hehe

jonboy

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008, 01:39:49 pm »
if your cars loosing charge take a look at the condition of the leads going to the alternator.  I had a wire break off which resulted in my car discharging its battery somehow.  can't explain why it did it, but its been fine since i soldered it back on!

Offline G-spot

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2008, 08:02:28 pm »
Well my battery has been acting a bit tired the past month or so I decided to check the levels in the cells, and sure enough all six cells the lead was just exposed above the acid, so a quick to up with de-ionised water, and a literly a couple of hours on the charger, and its as good as new.
So don't splash out on a new battery before the Winter kicks in just yet, do a quick check, you never know!! 
Just to add to that I noticed the battery to appear worse when parked on steep slopes when the levels where low, not a problem since.

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2008, 08:21:06 am »
The Bosch silver I'm using came off the G40 that donated its engine to my car back in 2002. It wasn't a new battery then either. I've frequently left the car 6 weeks between running it, and it still has enough power left to crank and start the car. When this one finally dies I think I'll be buying another!

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2008, 06:56:32 pm »
they dont do a silver - but do similar i think

I've cured the problem. Was the sh1t stereo!

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2008, 08:09:45 pm »
Aye, think it was discontinued a while back - but presume the replacement model should be as good!