Author Topic: My GT-G40  (Read 118046 times)

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
Re: My GT-G40
« Reply #120 on: June 05, 2011, 11:21:14 pm »
It's back on my drive! 8)

Had a frantic afternoon finishing the last bits of the rebuild. The sunroof went back in without too many dramas, though it took a while to get it sitting right, and after topping up the charge on the battery the car purred back into life.

It needs a new battery and we didn't get time to clean the interior properly but otherwise it's looking really bloody good. I'm going to spend this week tying up those last loose ends.

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #121 on: June 06, 2011, 10:22:36 pm »
Felt good opening the door this morning to see this:

I've made a start on the finishing touches too - ordered the last four wheel bolts, a few bolts that were rusty and needed replacing and the bits of windscreen wiper I'm missing. I seem to have mislaid them while I was dismantling the car.

Gave it a quick clean earlier to wash the dust off, hoping to get some wax on there tomorrow, then I'll redo it next week and put some trim detailer on to bring the plastics back to life. Then I'll take some decent pics for you to check out :)

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #122 on: June 14, 2011, 09:58:24 pm »
The interior is back in, and it's now clean of dust, mud and splatters of cutting compound.

I've also fitted all of those clips and bits I bought... bar the wiper stuff. Steve Morris is hooking me up with those this week. The last bit of the jigsaw!

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #123 on: June 15, 2011, 09:51:56 pm »
Sat in my office at home and I hear a G40 outside.

Doorbell rings and I'm right - on the doorstep is Steve Morris, and he's dropped by to drop off the missing wiper grommets. The final missing piece for the resto, and I've got it!

To put this into perspective, Nottingham to Kettering is a 96 mile round trip. Bloody legendary, I really can't thank him enough! 8)

Shows there are some bloody amazing people in this scene!

Offline Boris

• Members
« Reply #124 on: June 15, 2011, 10:10:14 pm »
Shows there are some bloody amazing people in this scene!
Completely agree :)

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #125 on: June 18, 2011, 09:35:07 pm »
After a muddly couple of weeks tying up the last loose ends, today I finally had a chance to get back up to Eastcote Customs (Perkins) to tie up that last 1%.

We ran out of time when I picked it up, so I drove it away unwaxed and in need of one last mop. Today, that was my mission.

That's not to say it was looking bad after two weeks of being rained on!

Got in early, thought this was a nice pic :)

It's interesting what you don't notice until the rest of the car is immaculate. The boot has been used to carry all sorts (including the engine, gearbox etc) and with that nice shiny strut brace in there it was looking a bit scabby.

So I trimmed the suspension turrets in acoustic carpet. It's not perfect, but it's much better.

Spent the rest of the afternoon waxing the paint, then giving the bumpers a blow-over with a heat gun to revive the colour. The result?

And with that pic, I'm done. One fresh looking G40 - ready for DC tomorrow!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 09:37:16 pm by Alex »

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #126 on: June 19, 2011, 06:50:17 pm »
Took the G40 to DC11 today - and for the first time in 11 years I came home with a trophy! :o

I'm amazed! Stopped off on the way home to take some pics. It's been a long old journey, this. I'm so happy to finally have something to show for 11 years of patient modifying. :)

Offline Varley

• Members
« Reply #127 on: June 19, 2011, 07:09:41 pm »
Well done mate - doing us all proud.

Think I might get the old red bumper strip on mine - looks class.

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #128 on: June 20, 2011, 01:36:15 am »
Proper camera FTW

Offline breadman

• Members
  • mk2 breadvan 1341 turbo sleeper (currently snoring
« Reply #129 on: June 20, 2011, 05:57:44 pm »
Absolutely stunning result Alex. Maximum win here, surely one of the best condition useable G40's out there?
What is it like under the bonnet Alex, is it detailed at all?

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #130 on: June 21, 2011, 09:01:00 pm »
The engine bay isn't bad actually. I had the bonnet up at almost every show over the last couple of years, but that's because the paint was a bit flat.

It's the same now, but it's quite dusty under there. Won't take long to rectify that though!

Offline SamG40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
« Reply #131 on: June 22, 2011, 01:08:08 pm »
Nice one Alex, looking forward to having a poke round it at BVF.

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #132 on: June 22, 2011, 10:11:31 pm »

I'm camping with you guys all weekend. Can't wait!

Going to be a bit hectic though. I'm at Goodwood on Thursday night, and Festival of Speed as a VIP with Ford on Friday during the day. There's no point going to the show via Kettering to collect the car, so I'm taking the Polo to Goodwood and heading up on Friday evening, probably a little over dressed for camping.

Offline SpikeyG40

• Members
« Reply #133 on: June 23, 2011, 12:23:29 pm »
Great to see the car looking so good alex!

Those strut covers look like a good job, my old blue mk3 had some genuine vw ones if i remember correctly.  Also had a cover over the boot lip (Where the lock pin is) which was a nice touch.

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #134 on: June 25, 2011, 11:08:10 pm »
As far as I know, you can't get genuine covers for the shock towers. I've got the little bits of carpet that cover the back of the lights, they're genuine, but I don't think any cars had the shock towers covered.