Author Topic: My GT-G40  (Read 112604 times)

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
Re: My GT-G40
« Reply #105 on: April 08, 2011, 05:00:00 pm »
Decided to pop up to Perkins to have a look at the car this morning.

I'll say this, pics don't do it justice!

The paint's been beautifully well applied, and even in its booth-fresh state it's got a much deeper shine than it had before. That's what you get from three coats of lacquer! :)

Which makes it all the more exciting when I say, the following pictures are of the finish as it came out of the spray gun. Before it sees the road again it's being flatted with 1500 and then 2000 grit sand paper, then polished up to a glass-like shine.

That said, I could roll up to a show with it as it is and still turn heads. Imagine how good it'll look when it's finished!

And a before/after comparison:

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #106 on: April 08, 2011, 05:02:55 pm »
looks flawless pal , so jelous!

Offline xandyx

• Members
« Reply #107 on: April 08, 2011, 06:02:27 pm »
that's going to look sweet when finished!

i've been rebuilding mine and will go to paint shop after.

alex, how did you remove windscreen and rear side windows? how hard is to remove the rubber without damage?

cheers
andré

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #108 on: April 08, 2011, 08:20:56 pm »
They both come out the same way. You need to unhook one corner of the window by lifting the flap of the inside edge of the seal over the window frame, then work around the window carefully peeling it out. Don't forget to support it from the outside or it'll just drop out and smash :D

I'd start with the rear windows though, windscreens are more prone to breaking.

Offline cheys03

• Members
« Reply #109 on: April 08, 2011, 08:34:55 pm »
 Simply stunning!

Offline ereeiz

• Members
« Reply #110 on: April 09, 2011, 10:11:15 am »
That finish looks extreeeeeeeemely shiny. Looking good! I'd be chuffed if mine had that finish! How much does it all cost if you don't mind me asking? Or have you got a bargain through work? ;)

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #111 on: April 10, 2011, 12:45:01 pm »
No bargains through work now - all that finished with Max.

I could tell you how much it cost, but I'd have to kill you afterwards. :)

Offline Volkov

• Members
  • Polo Team Bulgaria
    • http://poloteam.alanasoft.com/
« Reply #112 on: April 10, 2011, 03:49:27 pm »
Awesome Job!  :o
Here, in Bulgaria all this manipulation include paint cost 300-600 euro's!
The difference comes with colors!

Offline cheys03

• Members
« Reply #113 on: April 10, 2011, 07:03:59 pm »
No bargains through work now - all that finished with Max.

I could tell you how much it cost, but I'd have to kill you afterwards. :)

Tell him!
ereeiz - remember to tell us the cost before Alex kills you ;)

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #114 on: April 16, 2011, 06:11:18 pm »
I appear to have used my Photobucket bandwidth with the fresh paint pics - so the latest ones are being hosted through Facebook.

Dropped in to see the car this lunchtime, as I was in the area. Adam's been hard at work for three days flatting and polishing the paintwork, and while I thought it was shiny before I hadn't seen even a quarter of its potential.

Not all of it has been done yet, and annoyingly I didn't have my tripod with me so the pics are a bit cack. Plus tbh you can't get any idea of just how shiny it is until you see it in the metal. It's going to look awesome!

This is the bonnet. And Ad says it's not finished yet! :o

The roof. Done, but dusty.

The passenger side door...

And the passenger side. Ad was still going over the quarter panel as I left.

It'll be fully polished by the end of the weekend, then it can start being put back together! 8)

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #115 on: April 16, 2011, 06:20:52 pm »
looks shit. ;)  i'd get a refund.

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #116 on: April 29, 2011, 11:05:52 pm »
Thank god for royal weddings - today meant I got a full day with the car and I've got LOADS done.

I actually got a bit carried away, and forgot to take any pics until the end of the day.

But, today's completed tasks:

- Speedlines swapped for my old 15s (borrowed from my mate who bought them off me 18 months ago) while I wait for new tyres for the Watanabes
- tailgate badges fitted
- tailgate tub vinyl trim fitted, with grab handle, lock and number plate lights
- rear wiper mechanism fitted
- rear lights fitted
- b pillar trims fitted
- doors assembled with windows, door cards, door handles, seals and alarm sensors
- side repeaters fitted
- roof gutter trims fitted
- inner arch liners fitted

Pics say a thousand words. The car was really dusty, so don't view these as an indication of the paintwork. It's had four days of being flatted and polished, trust me it needs to be seen in the metal!

But it's starting to look like a car again!

The slam panel hasn't been painted yet, so no point fitting the front bumper, headlights or grille yet. But you can see the front edge of the arch liner. It's pretty close to the wheel!

Last time I had these wheels on the car, it was sitting a little higher. I still think they suit the car, but there's no way these will fit under the arches now. Satin b-pillar trim looks awesome against the dense pearl paintwork.

Paper windscreen makes it look like I've got tints!

I'm going to wind the driver's side up about half an inch to level the ride height. I'm glad I decided to refit the vinyl around the number plate, it really suits the car! Undecided whether I'll put the Supercharged badge back on, I'm quite tempted to leave it off.

Still a decent list of tasks to do:
- paint and refit sunroof panel
- paint inside the boot
- paint slam panel
- paint and fit rear strut brace
- fit rear quarter windows and windscreen
- fit windscreen wipers
- fit sill and arch trims, and side rubbing strips
- fit front and rear bumpers
- another session of flatting and polishing
- underseal everywhere!
- fit tyres to new wheels, and swap them over

A lot of that is due to happen this week, I'll be fitting up the last of the trim next weekend hopefully and then collecting it the week after if all goes to plan. Can't wait now!

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #117 on: April 30, 2011, 07:28:42 pm »
Took advantage of being back in Cardiff for the weekend today - some awesome scrap yards around here! Spotted this morning - a Scirocco Scala, a (stripped bare) red Porsche 924 and a white Porsche 944. I've yet to live anywhere that's so easy going when it comes to walking around and trying to find parts, or that has so many properly old cars.

And, while I didn't find what I was looking for, I did find this:

It's the leather steering wheel from a Corrado VR6. I had one on my car years ago, and took it off when the leather at the top started to wear through. Cost me a LOT more than I paid for this, and this one is in better condition. I'll probably run it this year, get the other one retrimmed when I can afford it, then swap them over and sell this one.

And the Speedlines are clean(er) and ready for their new owner to collect on Monday.

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #118 on: May 08, 2011, 12:44:54 am »
Hectic week this week, finishing with a busy day at the workshop. My new tyres have arrived, and they're now fitted to the Watanabes. They look great! I may have to paint those valve caps black though.

Progress since last time includes the sunroof and strut brace being painted. How good does that look!

The big task today was getting the trim re-fitted. It's a puzzle that starts with the sill extensions, then the arch extensions, then finally the rub strips on the doors and rear quarter panels. One corner at a time I swapped the 15s for the Watanabes, and riveted/Tiger Sealed the arches in place. I can't get over how much lower and wider it looks.

Unfortunately the car was right over in the corner of the workshop, so excuse the not so great pictures.

They fill the arches better than the Speedlines, I think. Paint looks great even when it's covered in dust!

Rear arches are both fitted too, so only the rubbing strips left.

Got a few bits to order in. I've decided to fit a genuine aerial, if it's not too expensive. I also need to get some new wheel bolts, as mine are pretty gash. The boot and slam panel are being painted this week, and with that done I can put the rest of it back together.

Next time I go up to the workshop, two weeks today, I should be coming back with a car!  8)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 12:50:08 am by Alex »

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #119 on: June 04, 2011, 10:04:31 pm »
It's been a while - but I've finally had a chance to get back up and work on the car today.

With a free weekend, the last before it's due to be unveiled at DC11, I wasn't messing about. Today needed to be really productive, and it has been!

First step was refitting the rear bumper, a small job but one I couldn't do with the trim off. I also had a new beesting aerial waiting, so that went on too, and the headlining was clipped back in place. You'll also see my Polo Performance Parts strut brace, which is wedged in place here.

Door cards were next on the list - complete with the seat belt holders. Yes, I've got a lot of cleaning to do!

Then, off with the wheels so I could drop the rear beam and get that strut brace bolted in. Adam did the drilling - I hate putting holes through my car!

And before I left, I managed to get the rear quarter windows in, too.

Left to do: windscreen, headlights/grille, rear number plate and sunroof.

Should be coming home tomorrow, barring any unforseen mechanical complications. :)