Author Topic: 1.5 G40 RR result  (Read 12825 times)

Offline Tommo

• Members
Re: 1.5 G40 RR result
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2010, 09:18:22 pm »
Yes it was you lance. Thanks again for that clutch though, without that I would have been buggered.

I think I will see how I get on at the dragstrip with the ridgid paddle before possibly investing in somthing more friendly.

Offline lance

• Members
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2010, 09:26:35 pm »
no problem tommo, how much is a metro turbo carb worth? might know someone with one.

Offline Tommo

• Members
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2010, 09:38:15 pm »
I dunno, depends on condition I suppose. You can convert a normal SU piece of piss so probs only £40 or so, at a guess.

The metro turbo plenum is worth money though becuase you need that for the turbo su to work.

Offline Nick_S

• Members
  • 189.6 bhp @ 8psi boost
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2010, 11:27:08 pm »
Sounds good, I can get a standard friction plate organic lined for £20, then possibly just recess the pressure plate into the flywheel to get a bit more clamping force. I just wasnt sure if it would hold thats all. I figured that everyone must have these things that I have but I saw at the RR day that I was the only one jerking about the car park  ;D

Not the only one, the chap at Aldon stalled mine driving it into their hangar LOL.
I've got a CG 4 fin paddle clutch too, surprisingly easy to live with for me but I don't drive it daily. Mike at CG in Leeds said he can re-line the friction pads if you wear them out, so shouldn't cost the earth to maintain.

Varley, what cam you got in your engine? I did give my engine a bit of abuse too whilst running it in ;)

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2010, 05:58:14 pm »
Had my Helix plate re-lined - think it was something like £40, plus the postage to and from them. A paddle clutch is for life!

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2010, 07:13:08 pm »
True - when I used it daily I carried a spare around with me for a while. Came in handy one day on the way to the Pod! Some of the 'uprated' (i.e. re-worked stock part with more springs) cover plates seem very stiff compared to others.

Offline Tommo

• Members
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2010, 07:20:58 pm »
My car is using a standard pressure plate on the paddle clutch with no problems.

Infact its second hand, and only a standard polo one, not a 200mm one. But it covers the friction plate just.

No sign of slip at all, even if you are violent with it.

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2010, 07:23:21 pm »
Turbos are alot kinder on drivetrain components  :-*

Tommo- how many miles have you put on your current set-up? Very impressed by the £/bhp - just wondering at what true price this comes?

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2010, 07:26:29 pm »
My car is using a standard pressure plate on the paddle clutch with no problems.
Yeah, I did for years with a Sachs paddle - just got a complete Helix setup for cheap. Still have the Sachs, it was fine despite muchos RWYB abuse.

Offline Tommo

• Members
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2010, 08:22:19 pm »
Turbos are alot kinder on drivetrain components  :-*

Tommo- how many miles have you put on your current set-up? Very impressed by the £/bhp - just wondering at what true price this comes?

I put 6k miles on the 1.3 Spi at 1.2 bar. It was fine when I stripped it down for inspection, there wasnt one det mark in the pistons or the head. Exhaust valves looked fine etc. If it wasnt for the fact that I stripped a thread in the block when I fitted the wrong head bolts by accident, then I would probably still be using it now.

As for the 1.4 ive only done about 1k miles on it although pretty much all of those have been giving it absolute death setting it up. I dont really see why the life of it should be all that compromised. I made a mistake with the dizzy and inadvertantly ran 42 degrees max advance on the 1.4 engine, and whilst racing my mates scooby I got a good few seconds of machine gun style detonation (exact same type of det that broke the ring lands on my mates accralite pistoned mini). I crapped myself but it still runs fine, it had little bobbles of ally stuck to the plugs after but even the head gasket has been fine ever since. It would be interesting to get the head off to see what damage that actually caused.

I had reservations about running the 7mm valves that my ABD had but so far they have been fine, obviously if I was to spend money on a decent set of pistons I would go for the 8mm sodium filled ones because for the cost its not worth the risk, but such is the beauty of genuine scrap yard parts.

The only other reservation I had was the ring gaps. Having machined 2.4mm off the piston top I was concerned that the top rings may get a bit too hot and nip up. But I decided against opening the ring gap up in the interest of experementation. So far they have been totally fine but the rings are the original VW ones which have done over 100k miles, so will be a bit worn. Either way there is still 5.5mm from the top of the piston to the top of the top ring gap, which is the same as a 200sx. And as the combustion chamber is in the piston I should think this will keep ring temps down.

What max ignition advance do you run on full boost do you run yoof? Mine is set at 18 degrees but I suspect that I could get a fair bit more on there, I know that a lot of high power metro turbos run upto 24 degrees, but aparrently they have a very good combustion chamber. I didnt have time before the rolling road to try advancing it, plus im getting ever more consious that spending all night doing 130mph up and down the motorway between services is not going to do my liscence any favours at some point. I dont really want to run any more boost because the chances of me finding another turbo for £20 are slim so I want to make this one last.

I suppose the chinese £11 big end bearings that I fitted wont last as long as VW ones would, but again, all in the interest of science.

Offline Tommo

• Members
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2010, 08:34:58 pm »
Cheers Rae, some people think im a tight arse, but the minuite I spend any money on it I then have to start worrying if its going to self destruct, which is no fun for me.

I dont mind spending money on stuff that I can transfer onto other cars, such as my wideband setup.

Going back to the life of the thing, its good to remember that with turbos you arent constantly stressing the engine. A lot of people get stuck in the way of comparing them to high power N/A engines, where your silly compression ratio is pounding your components at all RPM's, full load or no load. With a turbo its just when your on boost (which isnt always all that often) and you just have to cater for the added heat.

My car is also running aroung 11.2:1 AFR on full boost/load. Its safer that way on a carburetted car, I could aim for 12.5 for more power but I cant be arsed fiddling around with jets. The R5 carb has been great, I literally havent adjusted anything on it (although I think it came off a high power R5T) I could do with another carb base though as the idle mixture screw has snapped off in the hole  :o.

Offline lance

• Members
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2010, 08:58:22 pm »
ages ago a lad i know had a 1.4 nova with a boot he put a 1.6 head on it to lower comp to around 8.5:1 then fitted a 200sx turbo and a carb off a lancia. it made over 200bhp too an ran for ages.

11.2:1 afr eh. sounds good on fuel haha 20mpg?
do you run double valve springs?
what do you take the revs too?

Offline Tommo

• Members
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2010, 09:06:17 pm »
Its always gonna be pretty dire on fuel on boost, off boost its not really great either, although I always get over 25mpg average over a tank and im always caning the arse out of it.

Yeah I fitted double valve springs when I fitted the GT cam, mainly because I had them but it could prevent any reversion.

You dont really need to rev it though, peak power is at just below 5700rpm so its best to change up at around 6500.

Offline lance

• Members
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2010, 09:10:52 pm »
25mpg is not bad at all really.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2010, 09:23:32 pm »
yeah i was surprised how low down the power band it peaks, I guess that's the longer stroke.  my peak bhp is at about 6100rpm, it is very rev happy though.