Author Topic: What belt do I need?  (Read 1805 times)

Offline Insight G40

• Members
What belt do I need?
« on: January 28, 2010, 11:42:25 am »
I need to run a G40 with toothbelts without the charger, does anyone know what length belt I would need and maybe what vehicle a belt of this size is fitted to. Needs to be a toothed belt obviously.

Offline SamG40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
Re: What belt do I need?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 12:43:23 pm »
Read it again Rae, running without the charger. And no sorry Rob not got a scooby.

Offline benh999

• Members
  • K776PKR finally back home
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 03:48:32 pm »
is this for a turbo application and if so would standard belts from crank to Alt pulley really generate that much slippage?

Offline SamG40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 04:33:23 pm »
I believe it is a temporary setup so the car can still be driven whilst the charger is rebuilt. People have done this in the past successfully, the car is just dog slow!

Offline Alexiskayak_7

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 07:21:28 pm »
Because you tight the belt from the g lader in the 40s you won't be able to tight the toothed belt..
I have a 8x830 v belt and it's hard to seat into the pulley (because of the lack o thensioner) but when it fits its perfect- no belt slippage at all...
Propably you need 835 or 840...

Offline Insight G40

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 12:53:12 pm »
This is just for a temp setup so I an use the car while I sort out getting my lader rebuilt. After discussion with Hayesey yesterday I decided to run without the lader and he informed me that he thinks it is possible to slip a toothbelt over the pullies without tensioning it.

I am well aware that the lader is used to tension the belt Rae, the car will be dog slow, particularly as it will not be driven on full throttle without boost, I simply need to get to work until I get the a rebuild kit.

I really don't want the hasstle of swapping the alternator and crank pulley to run a GT alternator just for 3-4 days driving.

Alexiskayak, are you running toothbelts?

Offline Alexiskayak_7

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 04:31:02 pm »
No, that lenght is for v belts
I just wrote you the lenght that you begin to look for

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2010, 04:53:06 pm »
I dunno where you'll find a toothed belt that small in a hurry though rob.  do you have a set of v-belt pullies knocking about?  you'll prob find a suitable v-belt in halfords, it'll take some force to stretch itover but should be possible as a quick temp fix.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2010, 04:54:24 pm »
or you might be able to use a piece of string to measure the size of toothed belt you'll need

Offline Insight G40

• Members
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2010, 05:42:01 pm »
Hmmm, wanted to avoid having to swap pullies over.