Author Topic: I need an immobiliser  (Read 3819 times)

Offline vwmk3jon

• Members
I need an immobiliser
« on: January 23, 2010, 05:12:05 pm »
Need to get an immobiliser fitted to the G to keep my insurance happy.

Would have to be professionally fitted I'd assume to keep it thatcham approved.

I'm in Lincolnshire so somewhere local would be ace so I don't have to struggle too far.

Any ideas/tips?

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
Re: I need an immobiliser
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 05:37:28 pm »
Be very careful where you take it. An alarm is only ever as good as the person who installs it. A badly fitted alarm is an absolutely miserable thing, trust me, and a lot of the bigger companies vary massively depending on who does the work.

I've heard lots of good things about Dennis at Alarms4U, a few current and ex Max staffers have used him to fit alarms (and repair shonky work done by other, supposedly reputable, places). He's local enough to come out and do cars around the Peterborough area.

alarms4u.co.uk

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 09:01:50 am »
I had a fairly decent install done on my car, but when my immobiliser keyfob went missing at E38 a couple of years ago it only took a couple of minutes to bypass the immob... In fairness I did know where it was all installed, but still.

Offline rich4130

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 10:32:57 am »
I aggree, I wouldn't pay someone to do it after taking about 5 mins to remove mine!

Get the dash out, and trace the ignition wires right back, so its half worth having!

Aggree with Rae, Ai606 is spot on!

Offline lance

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 11:52:37 am »
sigma s30 is prob the best alarm around for your money. as said they are all easy to bypass so your best getting an alarm and immobiliser so you can hear if someone is trying to get into trying to bypass it.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 12:10:34 pm by lance »

Offline vwmk3jon

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 09:44:45 pm »
Cheers guys.

I'm with Adrian Flux and I think they need proof that it's been installed professionally :(

I'll have a look when I get 2mins. I've heard afew stories of shonky installs from a certain company in p'boro down fengate so they're off my list!

Offline vwmk3jon

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 08:36:41 pm »
i'll give it a go when i buy one and see what they say.

Offline josé

• Members
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 09:14:37 pm »
i've just had the toad AI606 fitted to my G,

i'm insured with adrian flux and i've got to send them a copy of my installation certificate so i presume that would be the same for you jon,

would of fitted it myself but i get abit sick when it comes to electrical work haha

Offline vwmk3jon

• Members
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 02:32:08 pm »
Was the same for me. I sent them the receipt from purchase but apparently it wasnt good enough. I explained to them over the phone that the car cant be driven away anyway due to lack of parts (i.e supercharger, battery and fuel!) so its sorted for the time being.

I'm no wiring expert either (well, not engine wise) so i'll probably get it installed when the cars running again.