Author Topic: Hydraulic Clutch Kit?  (Read 3721 times)

Offline giorgio

• Members
Hydraulic Clutch Kit?
« on: July 03, 2008, 04:31:28 pm »
I keep snapping clutch cables. Varied driving but none have seen 1/4 mile action. Just normal driving, although I think traffic is what kills them to eb honest

Original when I bought the car - Stretched so I replaced it
VW Replacement - Pedal Bracket Snapped
Temporary Pattern Replacement - Cable snapped

Steve PSD drove my car and said my Paddle Clutch is rediculously heavy. Max off here also says my clutch is really heavy compared to his Haldex

So me being me -

Who is the best place to overhaul my gearbox?
Whats the best paddle clutch around these days? Am running power of the 200bhp region to must be able to withstand some abuse.

Am hoping that a new clutch will stop the cable from snapping, since it wont be so heavy.

Anybody know of a hydraulic clutch conversion that could be adapted to fit a Polo. I know they exist for Mustangs etc so there must be a universal kit about. I tried google but couldnt find anything

Offline Andy

• Traders
Re: Hydraulic Clutch Kit?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 07:50:47 pm »
Sounds like you've got a spastic clutch pressure plate. A new Helix (not Haldex!) one on mine hasn't killed the cable yet - they do pull through some of the rubber mount on the 'box though, but you can pack it with washers there to toughen it up. Also, don't adjust the clutch cable so it always keeps the clutch arm under tension.

Offline giorgio

• Members
Re: Re: Hydraulic Clutch Kit?
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 11:14:53 pm »
sorry andy no idea where haldex came from. Was over in golf land earlier in the morning. Am thinking a new pressure plate and clutch since the box is off. Now to find one lol

Offline Andy

• Traders
Re: Re: Re: Hydraulic Clutch Kit?
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 11:34:53 pm »
Try Helix direct... They're nothing special, just an OEM-equivalent part pressure plate with stronger spring bits on it. It was dirt cheap to get the paddle re-sintered too.

Offline currie

• Members
Re: Re: Re: Re: Hydraulic Clutch Kit?
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008, 01:55:30 pm »
iv got a helix paddle going - £275 was 330 new.

its done 300miles and not too heavy on the foot. pressure plate is balanced too
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 01:56:01 pm by currie »