Author Topic: 51mm throttle body??  (Read 7263 times)

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
Re: 51mm throttle body??
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2009, 09:19:45 am »
i didnt have a prob with mine, i think its due to the butterfly somtimes catching ever so slightly - being off centre.

Offline Henry

• Members
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2009, 11:55:43 am »
hi all im looking it to getting this mod done but i heard on here somwhere that psd never quite got them to work right?

In my experience, he couldn't even produce them. Steve the Pr1ck still owes me the money for one of these, although I can't imagine I'm the only one  ::)

Offline vwmk3jon

• Members
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2009, 01:43:18 pm »
i didnt have a prob with mine, i think its due to the butterfly somtimes catching ever so slightly - being off centre.

Can it be machined so it doesnt catch? Going to ask afew companies around here if they can do mine. Just need to arm myself with as much info as possible.

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2009, 01:50:52 pm »
down to adjustment and the quality of machining on the butterfly i think.

Like i said i never had issues with mine from PSD

Offline jez1272gt

• Members
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2009, 05:08:40 pm »
I've been looking to get one done for a while!! I'll keep an eye on this topic. Someone must be able to get these made up - especially if we could get a batch of 5 together??!!

From what ive heard and experinced about Juan i wouldn't give a penny to the scheming bastard!

Offline tdh-syorks

• Members
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2009, 06:17:25 pm »
persionally i think he's way overpriced anyway,

Offline G-spot

• Members
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2009, 06:26:10 pm »
Seems to be lots of bitching going on in this thread, don't really know the history on this, but guys sort it out elsewhere?!

Anyway if its the reason behind sticking 51mm(or any oversize throttle bodies)butterflies is still the topi of discussion then I'll continue.  I believe the problem lies in the shut angle on the edge of the butterfly itself, any OEM butterfly will be machined to an elipse, with the oposite sides displaying apposing angles that will seat completely flat on the throttle body inner wall as it closes.  This allows a good seal allowing the bypass valve and idle stabalisation valve to do its job properly.  Many of the modified THB(mine included) seem to have a square edge to the butterfly meaning the the butterfly valve does not close cleanly on the THB inner wall, and quite often beyond the throttle posistion sensor close position meaning a tricky set-up.  So to the reason for the sticking open phenonemon is because the geometory to the closure is not correct, which leads to it sticking from time to time.

To Fix it you can either machine a new butterfly correctly( not easy if you don't know the specifications) or depending on availibilty to doner spares fit a butterfly from another engine which meets your THB size.  I'm still looking out for something suitible, but basically anything with 51mm standard THB would or should do the trick. I'm yet to find anything suitible, but tbh I've not looked that hard because Idon't see it as a major issue.

Offline Nick_S

• Members
  • 189.6 bhp @ 8psi boost
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2009, 07:28:19 pm »
Yep, problems are caused by the chamfer (sp?) angle on the edges of the butterfly. This needs to be done on a lathe rather than with a file.

I have got a 51mm throttle off an Audi to have a play about the butterfly with. Need to get the verniers on it though as my G40 one is bored out to 50.8 mm.

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2009, 08:03:54 pm »
Not sure how you'd chamfer that edge on a lathe. A miller would do it though  ;)

Offline Nick_S

• Members
  • 189.6 bhp @ 8psi boost
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2009, 08:18:12 pm »
I assumed lathes have come on leaps and bounds with computer control since the days in 1992 when i used one in metal work class ;D

Offline Dan

• Members
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2009, 08:26:02 pm »
You can make the butterfly on the lathe at the correct angle.

Offline Fred

• Members
  • Fred
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2009, 09:00:23 pm »
I started to read this thread and new straight away that the edge of the butterfly was at fault. I dare say some will have been Laser cut to start with.
If you have a standard throttlebody then you`ll know having looked at the Butterfly with wedge how its done as said already.
If a mandrel was to be made to hold them in a Lathe chuck via the screw holes then a preshaped tool ground finely then i`d say that would work to form the chamfered edge.
It`s what i would try anyway.
Maybe i will at somepoint ;)

Fred.

Offline tdh-syorks

• Members
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2009, 06:58:30 pm »
i've just started making Nick his butterfly which he asked me for a few weeks ago, up to now i have turned a peice of bar to 2" and parted off a piece 2.5mm thick. this is now going to be surface ground to 2mm then marked and drilled, the chamfer will be turned on after using a piece of bar 1.75"dia with an angle milled on the end, i will then bolt the butterfly to this and using the compound on the lathe apply the angle, in theory this should work fine, i just need to calculate the angle for the bar (45 degree i think). also whilst on the subject i noticed that the origional vag throttle body butterfly does not seal completely, nor does the butterfly on the boost return (if held to light you can see round it).

Offline Justin14100

• Traders
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2009, 07:54:26 pm »
i've just started making Nick his butterfly which he asked me for a few weeks ago, up to now i have turned a peice of bar to 2" and parted off a piece 2.5mm thick. this is now going to be surface ground to 2mm then marked and drilled, the chamfer will be turned on after using a piece of bar 1.75"dia with an angle milled on the end, i will then bolt the butterfly to this and using the compound on the lathe apply the angle, in theory this should work fine, i just need to calculate the angle for the bar (45 degree i think). also whilst on the subject i noticed that the origional vag throttle body butterfly does not seal completely, nor does the butterfly on the boost return (if held to light you can see round it).

If it helps mine didn't steal completely either. Must be standard.

Offline Nick_S

• Members
  • 189.6 bhp @ 8psi boost
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2009, 08:40:07 pm »
The butterfly on my 51mm TB is shocking. One side fits ok and the other has what looks like 0.5mm gap at closed position when held up to the light.

Tom, that way of putting the angle on the disc should work fine. Dom does it a similar way.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 08:42:16 pm by Nick_S »