Author Topic: Noisy serviced charger.  (Read 10972 times)

Offline DMWG40

• Members
Re: Noisy serviced charger.
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2009, 01:30:05 pm »
I know this might sounds strange, but when I put my charger back on, my belts where not tight enough and it sounded like a charger noise,got parnoid, even at the garage when i had it mot they where like is that ok. but once the belts where tightened all sounded find.

Offline grayg40

• Members
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2009, 04:52:56 pm »
that would work to. do you use a oven or just a blow torch. at work we just use a blow torch for heating comp wheels on turbo's to get them to slide on.

Offline Nick_S

• Members
  • 189.6 bhp @ 8psi boost
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2009, 04:55:16 pm »
Beavis back in the day did it with a heat gun on mine.

Offline quiksilver_jake

• Members
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2009, 08:16:45 am »
Sounds the same as my last psd charger 100 miles later top bearing smashed through the scroll and the outlet case ... id get it off as you dont want that or something like that happening

Offline Robin

• Members
  • 194bhp - 1341 Turbo
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2009, 01:06:24 pm »
Jase are you 100% sure the noise is coming from the charger?

Might be worth splitting it open and having a look.

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2009, 01:09:14 pm »
check the oil feed is feeding properly or the bearings will  be dry as

Offline dubface

• Members
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2009, 02:33:09 pm »
Robin - You wanna pop round and have a look?
I'm 95% sure its the charger as there were no noises before I sent it off for a rebuild.

I'm going to split it open and have a look myself which I'm not too happy about as its exactly what I paid someone else to do ::)

What is the best way to check the oil feeds?  I did loosen them whilst it was running and oil dripped out but didn't remove them completely.

Another thing I didn't mention was that the engine stalled a few times which i suppose could be related - as if the charger is seizing.

Offline Robin

• Members
  • 194bhp - 1341 Turbo
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2009, 03:02:30 pm »
jase you got pm, i can come over to give you a hand if you like no problem.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 03:04:14 pm by Robin »

Offline grayg40

• Members
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2009, 09:05:23 am »
if you split the charger get a thin flexable peice of wire and push it through the oil inlet in the charger and see if the wire comes out beside the bearing just incase there is crap stuck in the hole.

Offline dubface

• Members
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2009, 05:18:31 pm »
Ok, finally got chance to look at the charger again today.

I disconnected the oil feed supply and there was nothing more than a dribble of oil coming through when I started the engine.  I think I read somewhere that oil should pi$$ out of the feed pipe, is that right? 

Could this be the reason for my horrible noises?

Thanks

Offline Dan

• Members
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2009, 05:46:33 pm »
I wouldn't start the engine with the feed pipe disconnected. But yes it sounds like the feed isnt supplying enough oil, renew it.

Offline dubface

• Members
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2009, 08:33:53 pm »
I wouldn't start the engine with the feed pipe disconnected.

The belt was removed from the charger, so it wasn't spinning.  Is it still potentially damaging to the engine?

Where can I get me a new oil feed pipe?

Offline Dan

• Members
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2009, 10:20:30 pm »
Well, you might loose a bit of oil pressure. More the fact that it could pump out oil when it's running which you don't wan't to do. It's ok if you just turn it over a few times to see.

I would get a new oil feed from VW, around the £20 mark. It's worth getting new banjo bolt washers as they are only pence.

Offline g40chris

• Members
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2009, 10:39:50 pm »
i had this problem and i renewed the pipe but no difference. i had a new oil pump but the guy who fitted it didnt fit the rubber bung in between the pump and the plate. so i had major loss of oil pressure which wasnt enough to push oil out of the oil feed for charger. if i were you i would take the pipe off near the head and turn it over for 10 seconds to see if there is enough pressure the get oil coming through the hole where the banjo goes. if you have loads of oil shooting out then there is a blockage from the pipe to the charger or a blockage in the charger. dont run it for more than 10 secs though

Offline G-spot

• Members
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2009, 08:54:43 pm »
Ok, finally got chance to look at the charger again today.

I disconnected the oil feed supply and there was nothing more than a dribble of oil coming through when I started the engine.  I think I read somewhere that oil should pi$$ out of the feed pipe, is that right? 

Could this be the reason for my horrible noises?

Thanks

Don't get oil flow and oil pressure mixed up guy's.  Oil shouldn't(and doesn't) piss out of feed pipe, its quite a low flow rate, that will pressurised if restricted.