Author Topic: Fresh from Andy Robinson  (Read 22779 times)

Offline jez1272gt

• Members
Re: Fresh from Andy Robinson
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2009, 09:56:53 am »
Fun  :D

Once its built i'll have a think about the VAG series maybe, but for the time being just about building something that i have wanted to for a long time really....

Offline G40motorsport

• Members
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2009, 03:51:33 pm »
If you do decide to race it, look at the Classic Touring Car Club Pre 93, Toyo Tires Pre 94 and the BARC Tin Top regs. The Polo is more suited to these championships (and they are cheaper to do)
The regs keep being expanded for the VAG series I was planning to run my Polo in a few rounds this year but have decided to see what comes out.

Offline jez1272gt

• Members
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2009, 05:23:29 pm »
Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to give them a look up and see whats what. Cheers

Offline Jimsiss

• Members
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2009, 12:37:54 am »
looks really good, how much was it to have the cage made?

Offline jez1272gt

• Members
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2009, 10:15:04 pm »
looks really good, how much was it to have the cage made?

Thanks. The price was high but worth every penny, the workmanship is second to none. To give you a rough idea, the average quote i got for a similar design you see in the car was £1500+vat in cds t45.

Offline hardchargin40

• Members
  • Older, Wiser, Greyer.
    • The Roadster.net
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2009, 11:59:33 am »
Excellent Cagework.  Where about is he based?

Any update on your build progress?

Offline jez1272gt

• Members
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2009, 07:22:23 pm »
Thanks. The cage fit and general workmanship is absolutely spot on. Andy Robinson is over near Basingstoke RG27 ... at a smallish premesis. The car is coming along slowly. Bodywork is coming along and got some pannels arriving shortly to finish it off. I've cleaned up the underside and re-sealed it with some light weight spray Upol stone chip. Engine is ready to go in. Fuel lines and brake lines on order. Lots of refitting to do but its coming along! Will be 'running' (just about) in the new year!

Offline breadman

• Members
  • mk2 breadvan 1341 turbo sleeper (currently snoring
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2009, 07:46:07 pm »
Nice one Jez, keep us updated with plenty of pics. if possible. ;)

Offline jez1272gt

• Members
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2009, 06:36:16 pm »
A pic of the underside once done. Pretty boring really. We straightened out the sills a little, stripped all the shitty rust from the cage points and other welding then sprayed with etch primer before going over with a normal primer then blasted the underside with Upol sprayable stone chip. Nothing much else to show at minute but it will come together pretty quickly with any luck..

Offline breadman

• Members
  • mk2 breadvan 1341 turbo sleeper (currently snoring
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2009, 11:28:07 pm »
Well, if you're only showing us one picture you might as well make it a big one Jez! ;D
Lovely work mate. I can't wait to see some more of this once it's complete.
What is the spec of the chassis and engine you'll be using?

Offline jez1272gt

• Members
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2009, 10:41:08 am »
Haha tried to put up another pic but it wouldnt load. Im crap with the internet and trying to up/download stuff  :D. I dont have a clue why its come out so big??

Not really alot to look at at the moment. I'll put some better pics up in the new year when its come together a bit more! Just busy working hard at getting it together and running for my final year degree project.

Offline giorgio

• Members
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2009, 06:21:09 pm »
Looks like its going to be good.

I spoke to John (Mr VAG Trophy) and he is/was happy to accept my G40 into the series as part of an'Invitational Class'. Reason being that my polo is too far from original spec. I would essentially just be doing a track day during a Mk2 Golf race and paying the 750MC £120 for the privileged.

If your considering racing with the 750 MC then check the regs as they don't really like modifications. In fact most championships don't allow modifications to suspension pick up points Eg. Subframe conversion. This was an area I contested with the 750MC as a polo is not competitive (Relative to other VAG) without a subframe.

Offline hardchargin40

• Members
  • Older, Wiser, Greyer.
    • The Roadster.net
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2009, 08:52:50 pm »
The Subframe is allowed as it doesn't modify the main suspension pick up point which is the inner TCA bracket, and you are allowed to run without a Anti Roll bar, the subframe mounts to its bolt position.  The ARB can be added in the original position to the subframe anyway.

ARB would not be consider a suspension pick up point as on the cup cars they use lowering blocks therefore alterating its original position.

We ran like this in the VW Cup and the TRC South East Championship (class C) in 2004.  And I was legal in it too with the black one i was building at the time, for class A.  Obviously some specific champs may have specific regs that put the polo out, but most are alright afaik.  Modification to Susp pick up points relates (usually) means relocating them.  Rob Carvell got picked up on this on his scirocco racer in '04 if i remember.  Also you need to keep the rear wheel well, otherwise you need to run in super production or whatever they call similar classes.  Some organisers aren't too clued up on the polo and whats allowed, whats not - most think anything bar a cup car specific spec is out.

We did run without a ARB too originally with the subframe, but found it too stiff, sometimes say at Silverstone National Circuit, Boaksey was getting it on two wheels!  Also ran 450lb front, 500-600lb rears

Can't obviously say about the 750MC but the BRSCC was cool with it.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 08:53:30 pm by hardchargin40 »

Offline jez1272gt

• Members
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2010, 05:43:21 pm »
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 05:45:59 pm by jez1272gt »

Offline Puncharado

• Members
  • Back on the road in 2010! No, 2011! Maybe.
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2010, 07:17:28 pm »
First time I've seen this thread Jez, very good! Nice neat job of the pressure switch.