Author Topic: Group buy on corregated Boost pipe, in silicone. Update page two..help needed.  (Read 10160 times)

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
Spiral is easier tooling, can screw it off the mould- multiple ribs are harder to remove once complete.

Offline chris2911

• Members
Re: Group buy on corregated Boost pipe, in silicone...pre thought..
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2009, 04:33:28 pm »

Cheers yoof!  Potentially looking at this so far there are 7:( possibly. I'd like ten really.  Yoof can you pm me what you think so far and where to go from here please? Thanks mate.   

supercharged spaniel
peteg40
rae
neilg40
grantvw
scotsjohn
dan
chris2911

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
I'd have thought 10 would be a minimum order (usually £300+ gets a hefty discount).

I'll e-mail Dan at Viper Performance tomorrow and speak to him about tooling times, deposits, and minimum orders etc. If you're struggling to get 10 Polo-PP could possibly buy the remainder (if we've got the cash).

Viper Performance will require a stock hose (in reasonable condition) to mock up in a CAD package for the tooling, I presume a slight gloss finish to the black hose isn't going to be a problem?

Offline Robin

• Members
  • 194bhp - 1341 Turbo
Yoof Dan will be able to make it in the classic finish which isn't glossy, same finish as my samco on the turbo pipes etc.

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
I know, but it's more expensive  :P

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
This is a stupid question,  ??? but if im looking at getting a front mount intercooler, is there much point of getting one of these?

Or is it possible to get a longer length?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 12:54:42 am by Jezza-7 »

Offline supercharged spaniel

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
ive already spoke to dan at viper a few weeks back after sending him some photos and its pretty much not going to happen as the minimum numbers are far too many for what we actually have or are going to get.

Hello,
Thank you for your email,
We can make something similar however this will need
special moulds making.
we need to know the angle and overall to see the part,
however I estimate that to make a mould for a hose like this will
cost in the region of around £180-£200 plus the cost of the hoses
which will be about £32. there would be a minimum order
of 20 to 25 pieces as we are charging tooling at cost,
and we will need to make a small profit on the hoses.

Best regards

Dan

As far as im concerned its not worth it for the numbers we have.

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
£32 a hose or for the lot of hoses??? makes a difference!

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
will be 32 per hose for sure.

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
  • Probably the oldest G driver in the Universe.
Can we do a balancing act then? I said I'd be willing to go to £50. If we got a smaller than required number paying a higher price would Viper still be interested ?

Offline supercharged spaniel

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
Well the way I read it, it means it'll be 32 quid just for the hose..then there's the profit Viper needs to make on each one, then the moulds to add on top of that.  So if it's 32 quid just for the hose, plus a profit to Viper, I dunno, say 5-10 quid per hose? Plus 200 quid divided say between 10 orders, your looking at upto 62 quid, plus postage I'd say it's gonna come out around 65 quid per unit.  That's my take on it, please correct me if I'm wrong but I think that's how I understood it when explained to me by Dan at Viper.  It's still cheaper than VW possibly for a better item?  But since we're struggling to crack ten definetes on orders, I'm in two minds as to wether it's worth it?

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
  • Probably the oldest G driver in the Universe.
I suppose common sense dictates this as being a no-go, which is a pity. It's not as if the boost pipe is a particularly obvious piece of kit, but having what is apparently healthy original spec pipework under the bonnet is quite attractive to me. At this time I'm running a slice of 57mm hosepipe from a c.v. application. Having said that , I got three lengths for about £12.

Offline GSBellew

• Members
Re: Group buy on corregated Boost pipe, in silicone. Update page two..help need
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2009, 12:13:17 am »
i'd say that a 45degree standard 57mm silicone hose for £15 does the job perfectly well?

I don't agree, and never have.

In my opinion the movement in the OE pipe is required to allow for the relative movement between the engine which the charger is bolted to and the body which the intercooler is bolted to.

A standard pipe ie non ribbed / spiral does not allow for this movement and transfers the force to the intercooler endcap, almost making it like an engine mount, which is not ideal.

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
there's as much flex in a 45 degree as the stock hose though?!

Offline GSBellew

• Members
Re: Group buy on corregated Boost pipe, in silicone. Update page two..help need
« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2009, 11:30:13 pm »
Try compressing the 45 degree hose down its length and comparing it a stock hose.