Author Topic: Group buy on corregated Boost pipe, in silicone. Update page two..help needed.  (Read 10161 times)

Offline supercharged spaniel

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
Re: Group buy on corregated Boost pipe, in silicone...pre thought..
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2009, 03:26:52 pm »
I wasn't planning on doing so. Who else has found this?

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2009, 04:46:06 pm »
ive been thinking.I'll have to ask them to make the end pieces about 20mm longer..if needs be they can be cut but because of the depth or length of the end caps on the intercooler and the elbow of the charger 20mm shouldnt make a difference.

anyways. Ive made contact with Dan at Viper and the next port of call is a photograph.  I need someone with decent camera skills to take a handful of photos of one they have off a car, inside of the pipe is important.  Can you pm me them if possible please?  could this person also measure the diameter and length as this too would be very helpful.

From there I am hoping to send an example of one to them.  One with rips or tears is fine but must be complete without chunks missing.  Again I'll need the clubs help for this as I do not have a duff one to send.

One major thing which will effect cost massively is the shape.  If I push for an identical copy it could well go into hundreds for the tool because of the inner 'swirl' pattern.  If we go for a slightly curved one without these ribs but with the classic 'look' (see first post link) then it should still be very oem but will not be exact.  Can we discuss how important this swirl pattern is inside of the pipe?  As i said this will drastically effect cost.  Obviously any costs at this point are unknown until photographs and a sample are provided but i will ask about an exact copy before anything else.

One more thing to add is numbers.  I'd like 10 but 12-15 is a better number so catering for stuff like toothed pullies smaller pullies is obviously important. 

thanks guys..if you can help with photos and or samples that'd be great.

Dan

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
  • Probably the oldest G driver in the Universe.
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2009, 07:34:12 pm »
I wasn't planning on doing so. Who else has found this?

Mine fell short by about 20mm as well.

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
well nowt is happening until someone volenteers to take a photo.  someone must have one..

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
standard hose off.

Offline tdh-syorks

• Members
ok, so to start with i haven't read this thread. thatd due to me being the worlds skinniest lazy fat bastard. lol
ok last year i needed a hose to fullfill my dreams of connecting my intercoooler to my charger. i found a bloke in harworth Doncaster, called Paul. after a 50 min tour of his unit and a lecture of hoses i discovered that he could provide us with any hoe's,sorry hoses to spec. this includes braided brake hoses (all made to custom spec and lengths). he was telling me he used to visit all the RS ford shows with his mobile workshop.(top bloke when it comes to cars), blah blah, sorry i feel lazy and cant be bothered to type anymore,. for complaints visit www.lazyfatskinnypersonfromsheffield.gov. lol  :D :D :D sorry poor.
for anyone looking for hose call paul
http://www.cylex-uk.co.uk/company/hose-direct-ltd-13352043.html

Offline GSBellew

• Members
I have a standard hose off up in the attic, its too late to go and dig it out now, but I will do so tomorrow after work if its still needed  :)

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
Rae that is a massive help. thank you  :)

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
just to add cos i don't think any can't be arsed to properly read my messages  :D cos i've already asked...what benefit does the 'swirl' design of the pipe have on boost?  Is it absolutly necessary?

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
i read yr post you arsey get but i have no idea

Offline Nick_S

• Members
  • 189.6 bhp @ 8psi boost
Swirl is probably a design compromise. Need the ribs for flexibility, but i would assume their spiral design is better for airfow than straight 90 degree ribs ???

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
probably just for strength, one continuous piece of metal throughout the pipe will make it stronger than just separate coils.

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
  • Probably the oldest G driver in the Universe.
just to add cos i don't think any can't be arsed to properly read my messages  :D cos i've already asked...what benefit does the 'swirl' design of the pipe have on boost?  Is it absolutly necessary?

Only to oem whores probably. lol. No I can't honestly say Spaniel but I reckon it may be an easier way of building in re-inforcing material. Viper might find that an attractive option.

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
Ha ha at pete! Right thanks guys. I've emailed viper and I've explained the need for the pipe to flex so ill see what they say. If It's just a straight pipe which obviously is strong is gonna be easier and cheaper. I'll let you all know asap what they say.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 11:18:12 pm by supercharged spaniel »

Offline Dan

• Members
Maybe the spiral wire reinforcement was just to reduce the hose bulging from internal air pressure. If the hose can't twist at either end the spiral wire will add strength around the circumference.