Author Topic: G40 Problem, Serious lack of power? UPDATE WITH PICS/VIDEO  (Read 17263 times)

Offline g40chris

• Members
Re: G40 Problem, Serious lack of power? UPDATE WITH PICS/VIDEO
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2009, 08:15:05 pm »
its a triangle type of clip

also do a quick check where the throttle cable comes through the bulkhead, there is a 'U' shape metal clip that holds the throttle cabel tight, if its moved along then this would mean that its like you have only been driving the car on half throttle. i always use 2 metal clips on mine just incase they slip off. i would deffo check this first

Offline LeonL

• Members
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2009, 08:38:58 pm »
Had a quike glance and it all looked okay,

What else could cause this problem?

Tomorrow i shall take some pictures of the set up for you guys to have a lookie at <3

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2009, 10:23:33 pm »
yeah not closing right - try tightening the cable by moving the U shaped clip on the ridges of the throttle cable outer

Offline tdh-syorks

• Members
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2009, 10:28:06 pm »
are both the screws in the butterfly? it could have slipped. thats why it isn't closing

Offline LeonL

• Members
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2009, 10:32:14 pm »
Yes both screws are in it? Or so it seems from the picture...?

Based on problem with the butterfly not closing when pedal is down would it cause ALOT of power to be lost and effect the top speed of the car a great deal?

Just want to assure my self that my problem is defo this!

Also what could cause this to have happened? As i doubt it came out of the factory like this. I dont want to fix the problem only for it to occur again...

Thanks all, greatly appricated :o

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2009, 10:47:38 pm »
yes it will be low on power - could be the linkage between butterflies not adjusted or throttle cable not tight enough.

Offline DaBigGinger

• Members
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2009, 10:49:41 pm »
Yep, that's definitely the cause of your problem. Your G40 is making all this boost, but as the flap isn't closing, the boost isn't going into the engine. This not closing will cause a massive loss in power.

The next thing you need to check is when you put your foot to the floor (with the engine off - don't want to go bouncing off the limiter), check that there black curved bit that the throttle cable cable goes through won't close any more by hand. It may have a small bit of movement, but that's fine. But if you can move it to the point that it causes the flap to close, then either the cable is out of adjustment or something is preventing the accelerator pedal from going to the floor. Check that nothing is getting in the way of that.

If the cable needs adjusting, just before the cable goes around the black bit, you will see a ribbed plastic cover over the cable as it passes through a small channel. There should be a little clip on this. Make sure it's actually there and adjust if needed.

If there's no extra movement in the little black bit, check there's nothing obstructing the movement of the little arm that connects to the little flap.

If there's nothing blocking it, someone must have played around with the linkage (that's the slightly bent metal bit with the beige ball joint sockets). Adjust this accordingly on the threaded rod.

Please also note: It is quite normal for the boost return valve (the flap) not to start closing until the accelerator pedal starts passing that half way point.

As for the cause, it depends of which of the above is causing this...

Either way, this should be a very simple and cheap fix.

Offline LeonL

• Members
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2009, 11:05:26 pm »
Abit late to go fidling with it at the momment but will get on the case tomorrow. However from the investigation today i found that the butterfly can be closed all the way at an angle like this "/" by moving the little lever with the ball joints conected. This can be done no matter which position the accelrator pedal is in.

Offline DaBigGinger

• Members
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2009, 12:06:40 am »
Yeah, that's quite normal. It won't quite close completely vertically - it will be at a slight angle when completely closed.

Offline LeonL

• Members
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2009, 12:12:24 am »
Okay gdgd ;D

Will try get it closing like that tomorrow then :) Hopefully this sorts the problem! Will be extreamly happy if it does...

Offline tdh-syorks

• Members
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2009, 08:12:45 am »
i'd consider replacing the accelerator cable as well. just for peace of mind. then work from there
its defo a throttle body issue tho, replace the cable then set the air gate position (plastic bit with ball joints) then go from there.
Pete, have you ever come across anything like this before?

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2009, 08:16:04 am »
9/10 its the accelorator cable isn't pulling enough.  Before you fiddle with the linkage on the throttle.  Manually press/push the throttle from where the cable connects and you'll see whether the BRV linkage on the throttle is set properly or if its the cable.  Otherwise you'll be messing with the BRV to bodge it when the cable needs to be set properly.

Offline LeonL

• Members
« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2009, 09:56:32 pm »
Only touched the cable, and now the BRV is closing fine and the car has G40 power again :)

Woooooooot!

Thanks all, its greatly appricated :-*

Offline LeonL

• Members
« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2009, 09:58:07 pm »
Last question before this topic can be discontinued, while driving at around 4k revs what PSI should my boost gauge be showing?

Thanks again! ;D

Offline Dan

• Members
« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2009, 10:04:07 pm »
It's amazing the amount of cars there are out there with loose throttle cables.