Author Topic: Overheated a bit... will it be okay?  (Read 3413 times)

Offline DaBigGinger

• Members
Overheated a bit... will it be okay?
« on: July 21, 2009, 05:44:14 pm »
To spare you the background info, I accidentally let my G get a bit hot. Somewhere in the region of 115 degrees coolant temp! It didn't blow any steam anywhere or blow water out of the pressure cap etc. As soon as I realised, I hit the fan and turned the heater on to full blowing power to cool it bringing the temperature down in a minute or two.

I appreciate I probably won't know if I've damaged it for a day or two, but what do you guys reckon the chances are that I could have upset the head gasket or warped the cylinder head?

Offline Dan

• Members
Re: Overheated a bit... will it be okay?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 05:58:27 pm »
Do you have the fan on a manual switch ? If so, why ?

Offline DaBigGinger

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 08:35:38 pm »
The current fan isn't quite big/powerful enough to keep the engine cool. By the time speed 2 comes on, it really struggles to keep the temp down. Instead, I've rigged up a switch as a temporary measure to run the fan at the more powerful fan speed when I'm going through town etc. It seems to do the trick for the time being.

However, today I forgot...

Anyway, drove back from work (25 miles). It doesn't appear to be blowing any steam out of the exhaust, oil cap appears fine. I'll check there's no oily bits in the coolant once it's a bit cooler.

Touch wood!

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
  • Probably the oldest G driver in the Universe.
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 09:04:38 pm »
 I've had a couple of big fryups such as losing the bottom hose and no problems after driving four miles. Have faith.

Offline DaBigGinger

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 09:30:40 pm »
I just had a look at a few pictures - the G40 temp gauges go upto 130, don't they? If so, I'm sure it will be fine :)

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 09:36:04 pm »
the gauges are shit anyway...

Offline DaBigGinger

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 10:07:15 pm »
I replaced mine with a VDO gauge for the above reason... Not to mention, the mk2 ones don't actually tell you the temp. Just cold, warm and hot.

Offline Dan

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 10:47:05 pm »
Doesn't help when the black temp sensors go. You say it struggles to keep the temp down, but the gauge can be innacurate if the sensor is.

Anyway i'd say it's still best to have the two speed fan connected to the thermo switch. Because it's easy to forget and you can always wire up an in car switch in parallel, should you feel the need.

Offline DaBigGinger

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2009, 11:59:58 pm »
Ah, I've got a sensor that lives in the top radiator hose for that.

I was actually thinking of having the switch like you suggested after what happened earlier. I'll get that sorted.

Offline vwmk3jon

• Members
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2009, 06:44:17 pm »
Mines got that hot before in roadworks when the fan was being arsey. It should be fine so dont panic.