Author Topic: which intercooler?  (Read 7422 times)

Offline sinister polo

• Members
  • drive it like u stole it
which intercooler?
« on: July 13, 2009, 05:05:36 pm »
looking at getting a forge universal intercooler,

http://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/content.asp?inc=product&cat=0013&product=FMINT104UNI

im thinking type 06 would be the best?
also what sizeoutlets would i need, 57mm?

cheers

daryl

Offline breadman

• Members
  • mk2 breadvan 1341 turbo sleeper (currently snoring
Re: which intercooler?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 06:12:29 pm »
Forge Motorsport equipment is all top quality stuff Daryl, so you'll have no worries there.
The 06 type is ideal with its rearward facing outlets too.

Offline Doc J

• Members
  • GT40 - AE86C
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 06:33:20 am »
If You got enough fantasy you can use everyone of these.
Mine is like Type 08, byt 06 and 07 can be a good solution too.

Offline vwmk3jon

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 05:15:19 pm »
£162 isnt that bad imo. I may change mine at some point if i ever get it running again. AW tracksport items are known for blowing the end tanks off!

Offline G4O LP

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 07:59:23 pm »
Its not so much blowing them off its more a case of the way the setup was done that when accelerating it ripped the welding apart on the intercooler coupled with wanky welding on the intercooler but with a bit of welding magic mine has been fine.

Offline jez1272gt

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 12:12:44 pm »
Type 06 will be fine if the outlets on the cooler are far enough apart for the radiator to sit between them. If the rad doesnt sit between the outlets then you might find fitting like death  :)

Offline vwmk3jon

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 01:12:41 pm »
Its not so much blowing them off its more a case of the way the setup was done that when accelerating it ripped the welding apart on the intercooler coupled with wanky welding on the intercooler but with a bit of welding magic mine has been fine.

Wasnt that to do with the way the charger and intercooler were mounted though? Mine aint joined anywhere apart from the boost pipe obviously thank god.

Offline Dan

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 06:39:34 pm »
The question I would be asking myself is, do I actually need a non-standard intercooler on a G40 ?

Offline lance

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 11:24:40 pm »
and the answer would be "hell yea the standard one is shit!"

Offline Dan

• Members
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2009, 04:06:54 pm »
Really, what makes it shit ? What are your compressor outlet temps and what temp are you trying to reduce it to. Don't forget that a G40 isn't pumping out masses of hot air like an eaton or turbo would do.

Offline breadman

• Members
  • mk2 breadvan 1341 turbo sleeper (currently snoring
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2009, 06:31:17 pm »
Nah Dan's right. I think the biggest problem with the O.E. one is because they look crap people assume they won't work as well as a big shiney front mount. Like Dan says G40's don't have the high compressor temps associated with most forced induction engines. 
My old G40 produced 181 bhp on Aldon's rollers with the standard intercooler (it was the original one and had seen 168k of use so wasn't in the best of condition either). Whilst it obviously wasn't the the ultimate setup it didn't stop the engine producing the goods. So I would say the O.E. intercooler will be fine for all but the most highly tuned race G40 motor's.
However, fit a turbo or Eaton and a decent front mount intercooler is a must if you want respectable power.

Offline G-spot

• Members
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2009, 09:20:15 pm »
Nah Dan's right. I think the biggest problem with the O.E. one is because they look crap people assume they won't work as well as a big shiney front mount. Like Dan says G40's don't have the high compressor temps associated with most forced induction engines. 
My old G40 produced 181 bhp on Aldon's rollers with the standard intercooler (it was the original one and had seen 168k of use so wasn't in the best of condition either). Whilst it obviously wasn't the the ultimate setup it didn't stop the engine producing the goods. So I would say the O.E. intercooler will be fine for all but the most highly tuned race G40 motor's.
However, fit a turbo or Eaton and a decent front mount intercooler is a must if you want respectable power.

Well said! If any recalls some inlet temps I did back on the old PSD forum, I was achieveing 15PSI on a 51mm THB, GT manifold, runing 65 pully whilst boosting at atmospheric temperature(at throthle body inlet) add some water methanol to it and I did actually start pushing temperatures below atmospheric(impressive, but also had to contened with icing on the THB), anyway, all this achieve on a standard(and dare I say it cos it is a 'front mounted')intercooler.

Biggest problem is that many older cars have filthy dirty OE intercoolers, take it off give it a dam good clean, straighten up any damaged or bent fins, refit and feel the improvement, and if you comfortable with your charger condition and service histroy remove the gauze on the intercooler inlet.  Hey presto you got something you don't need to replace unless your seeking 200hp(cos things start getting a bit hotter then).

Offline Nick_S

• Members
  • 189.6 bhp @ 8psi boost
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2009, 09:41:13 pm »
Yep i reckon the standard mk3 intercooler is fine for G40 usage. Jabba's old capri green G40 managed about 185 bhp with one, albeit with a charge cooler too.

One thing i would say about the mk3 setup is the bends on the system aren't the the best. IIRC there is a 180 degree U turn when charge leaves outlet and exits the top of the intercooler.