Author Topic: Baffled Sump and Windage Tray  (Read 9540 times)

Offline jez1272gt

• Members
Baffled Sump and Windage Tray
« on: June 15, 2009, 07:34:57 pm »
Due to nearing the end of my engine build i am looking into sorting the problem of oil surge and splash. What i am after is obviously a baffled sump and windage tray. I have looked fairly well on ebay.de and other sites and this does not seem to be some thing that comes about very often. Does anyonwe know where i can source either of these things, do ppp still sell the windage tray? I have also thought about the making of a baffled sump and wondered whether anyone has any plans for doing this at all?

Thanks

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
Re: Baffled Sump and Windage Tray
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 08:51:25 pm »
RP-Motorsport sell baffled sumps:
http://www.rp-motorsport.de/glader/g40-tuning.htm

And PPP used to sell windage trays, but they don't seem to be listed on Club Polo any more.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 09:07:50 pm »
does that sump actually have baffles in it?  The description just says it's ribbed for heat dissipation, doesn't actually say it's baffled inside which you'd have thought they would mention if it was.

I have one of the windage trays that PPP used to sell but I dont think they can get them anymore, required a bit of chopping about to make it fit anyway.

Offline jez1272gt

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 09:33:54 am »
Yeah it doesnt actually look like that sump has baffles just external fins to act as heat soakes. This seems to be the problem - no one seems to supply one. I have emailed Thorsten @ G-laderseite to see if he comes back with anything and Sorg but i dont really want to pay silly money for a sump to be honest...

I read on CP after doing a search that Gofasterpinch, Yeha and currie all mentioned making one. Anyone know if any home brew ones came about?

Offline Max

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 09:42:09 am »
Could maybe get in contact with Schrick?

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 09:43:54 am »
G-Spot has an RP-Motorsport one, he's the best person to ask about whether it's baffled. I always thought it was, but it's not unknown for me to be wrong!

Offline jez1272gt

• Members
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 11:03:38 am »
Could maybe get in contact with Schrick?

Yeah looked at Shcrick but they only list one and thats not for a Polo  :( Golf lovers as usual lol !!

G-Spot has an RP-Motorsport one, he's the best person to ask about whether it's baffled. I always thought it was, but it's not unknown for me to be wrong!

Alex thanks for your input, hopefully G-Spot will shed some light on it, wasnt saying you were wrong back there, just strange they dont mention the baffles on the site! Will probably email RP-Motorsport to see what they say if they can understand my english!

Thorsten (g-laderseite) has just got back to me (quick as) he can supply a baffled sump for a staggering 287euro including postage to the uk?! The pic didnt work on the email but that had best be made from some aerospace grade uber alloy. The Shcrick one is lonly listed at £180ish iirc!  :D . Erm me thinks probably not on that one!

Offline Dan

• Members
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 12:32:48 pm »
I'm currently making a brace and jig to fit baffles into the standard sump.
I'm also designing a windage tray better than the ones that were on germany ebay.

Offline jez1272gt

• Members
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2009, 10:50:11 pm »
I'm currently making a brace and jig to fit baffles into the standard sump.
I'm also designing a windage tray better than the ones that were on germany ebay.

Thats pretty interesting! When you recon you will have manufactured them by? Also will you be willing to produce copies or give out the designs? (for beer tokens of course!)

Offline Dan

• Members
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2009, 07:57:12 am »
Yes, the baffled sumps will be no problem. Send me your old sump or a new one to modify and I will send it back with baffles.

The windage tray, I will have a prototype made and trial fit it to see what it's like before producing more copies. These will be laser cut stainless steel. The more people wanting, would bring the price down slightly.

Next week or two I will have the brace & jig made (I have the material) and get an example to show.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2009, 09:41:03 am »
Dan, I'd probably be interested in buying a set of baffles off you to weld in myself assuming you are getting those laser cut too?  Might also be interested in a windage tray if they are better than the one I've got now.

Offline jez1272gt

• Members
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2009, 10:18:33 am »
Yes, the baffled sumps will be no problem. Send me your old sump or a new one to modify and I will send it back with baffles.

The windage tray, I will have a prototype made and trial fit it to see what it's like before producing more copies. These will be laser cut stainless steel. The more people wanting, would bring the price down slightly.

Next week or two I will have the brace & jig made (I have the material) and get an example to show.

Sweet! Well i shall keep my eyes peeled on this post then. Will be good to see some an example and I would have thought that you could sell a good few of these if they are quality!  8)

Offline lance

• Members
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2009, 02:57:30 pm »
i might also be interested. ;)

Offline Dan

• Members
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2009, 03:22:20 pm »
Paul, I could possibly supply the baffles on their own. But the reason I'm making a jig and brace is to clamp the sump down whilst the baffles are being welded in. This will help reduce distortion of the sump as it's only sheet steel.

Offline G-spot

• Members
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2009, 06:59:18 pm »
Hope these pic's help clarify taken last time I had it off(oooh missus)

and of course when fitted all new a couple of years back