Author Topic: Baffled Sump and Windage Tray  (Read 9541 times)

Offline jez1272gt

• Members
Re: Baffled Sump and Windage Tray
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2009, 09:44:53 pm »
looks good mate! Basicly the exact design of the one that G-laderseite can supply - just without the RPM stamped on the bottom. Trouble is its way to much @ circa £220! Guess you paid alot less then that though  :)

Offline G-spot

• Members
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2009, 10:09:38 pm »
About £70 plus a few euro's postage if I recall.

Helps keep oil temp down, but still get beeps on long hard left hand bends, looks good too if you ever roll your car over :o not tried it tho!

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2009, 09:51:56 am »
yeah those baffles don't look very effective, they aren't going to hold oil back much if at all.  Does it have a larger capacity than the standard sump?

Offline G-spot

• Members
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2009, 08:10:15 pm »
yes and no, the shape is slightly bigger than the press steel sump's, but due to the thickness(displacement) of the cast-in baffles and the fact that is has a thicker wall than a pressed steel one it doesn't noticably take anymore oil to fill it. If you fitted one of the aluminium windage trays then they actually get your sump sitting 2/3mm(ish) lower which means you get that extra distance on your dip stick hence allowing you extra capacity, but the trade off being that your pick-up on scavenge of the oil pump now sits futher from the base of the sump, thus reducing is scavenge ability. Which leads to another problem, that by having the sump sitting lower with the wingage tray(and due to thickness of alloy sump mating face and walls etc) the drivers side inboard CV joint was rubbing the sump, so found myself in the dilemar of dress away some of the sump or not fit the tray, needless to say I kept the sump in tact and ditched the tray at that stage!

Offline Dan

• Members
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2009, 09:31:05 pm »
Have no fear, tooling is being made. The metal for the jig has been cut today and I've been sorting out baffle plates of suitable size and thickness. Needless to say they will be more effective than the small ones in the RPM one pictured (not that I'm putting it down). There might even be trapdoors on the baffles so the oil can return one way only  ;)

Still working on the design for the windage tray, a few tweeks here and there before it goes out to be made.

Offline G-spot

• Members
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2009, 09:49:29 pm »
Dan, sounds like you got some good ideas there, don't forget to allow suitable clearance for the pick-up, its suprising how close it lies to everything within my RPM one, which makes for quite clever distrubution(its not just random bulkheads).

Offline jez1272gt

• Members
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2009, 10:14:50 pm »
Sounds like its gonna be top bananna!

Offline Dan

• Members
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2009, 11:17:34 am »
1 jig made, pics to follow....  :)

Offline jez1272gt

• Members
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2009, 11:16:58 am »
any pics yet dan?  ;D

Offline jez1272gt

• Members
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2009, 01:32:42 pm »
Have no fear, tooling is being made. The metal for the jig has been cut today and I've been sorting out baffle plates of suitable size and thickness. Needless to say they will be more effective than the small ones in the RPM one pictured (not that I'm putting it down). There might even be trapdoors on the baffles so the oil can return one way only  ;)

Still working on the design for the windage tray, a few tweeks here and there before it goes out to be made.

Any news on these Dan? Still very interested!

Offline jez1272gt

• Members
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2009, 08:00:08 pm »
Still want one of these! You got any further Dan?

Offline quiksilver_jake

• Members
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2010, 12:13:16 pm »
did this ever get finished?