Author Topic: Clonk, clonk  (Read 7649 times)

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
Clonk, clonk
« on: May 11, 2009, 11:58:40 am »
Sigh. This car is never quite perfect.

Since the suspension went on last week I've developed a new and unnerving noise, and I've got no idea what it is!

When I'm turning into a space, low speed steering etc, there's a clonking noise at the front end. Does it once as I'm moving, then does it again as I'm straightening up/turning back the other way. At speed, chucking the car into corners etc it doesn't happen.

I did wonder if it was a CV joint giving up the ghost (our Clio project car clonks when you're turning into spaces, makes a similar noise but does it while rolling) but it seems to be related to the movement of the steering wheel, not the wheels rolling. Basically, as I'm driving with the wheels turned it doesn't go clonkclonkclonkclonkclonkclonk like you'd expect a buggered CV joint to sound.

It's pissing me off really, the car's driving really well otherwise and I've enjoyed having it back!

Any idea what it might be?

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
Re: Clonk, clonk
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 12:05:57 pm »
that can be top mounts, but it can also be springs moving on their seats.  Is it a bit of a twang?

Offline Alexiskayak_7

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 12:59:04 pm »
It's definately the spring and it's moving from the seats...
You can put a hose in the beginnings (down side) of the spring... That will stop that annoying noice...

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 01:56:32 pm »
Yeah, it's maybe a bit lighter than a clonk, but you can feel it through the steering wheel. It's on coilovers now, so is there much I can do to stop it if it is that?

I did wonder if it was the top mounts as well.

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 02:34:07 pm »
what arb bushes do you have - sometimes the arb can slide if they are worn/not tight enough.

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 02:38:36 pm »
I've got the G-Laderseite ones. Thinking on it, the ARB was removed the other week to get the gearbox out. Might be worth tightening up the retainer things again. But, that said, it wasn't clonking until the suspension was changed. Worth a go anyway, even if just to eliminate that option.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 03:12:37 pm »
you've got a diff in there now haven't you?  Might be worth speaking to quaiffe to see if these ATBs make any noise in low speed maneuvers, plate type LSDs certainly do.  Or it might just be a run-in period.  The diff could also be putting more strain on the suspension, the ARB in particular.  But to be honest I'm not that sure how those ATBs behave at low speeds, I'd give them a call to see what they say.

Offline TomG401991

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 03:31:25 pm »
i had this noise and my wheel was loose dont know if you have checked this but i didnt check it and spent hours checking driveshafts struts alsorts just a quick check .

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2009, 05:51:50 pm »
Thing is, if it was the diff it would've made the noise pre suspension swap. This seems to have started since Friday.

A couple of the guys at work reckon the spring seats might need to be greased, dunno if that's worth checking?

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2009, 06:39:08 pm »
ah right I assumed you put all the parts on at once.

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2009, 07:44:00 pm »
Sadly no, it would've been a mission in a day. Lack of space under the bonnet is an issue!

Just taken it over to Nick G's place and he reckons it's the springs, but said to just keep an eye on it.

Offline jez1272gt

• Members
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2009, 08:49:35 pm »
I have known springs to click and clunk on standard spring/damper set up when being removed/replaced but not coilovers.. if i were you i would whip the wheel off and see if you can see if there is any signs of rubbage on the spring platform/seat, if not - anywhere else?

is is happening under 'dry' steering?

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2009, 08:59:06 pm »
Yeah, you can make the noise when the car's still. I'll go and have a look in a mo.

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2009, 09:04:53 pm »
Springs for sure. Most if not all coilovers do it as they don't use a spring cup. Nothing to worry about, just slightly annoying.

How are you finding the diff with no subframe?

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2009, 09:22:38 pm »
Surprisingly, very good. Even on the knackered old Spax suspension the car gripped really hard, it's really composed with the new stuff. I do need/want a subframe though, and with the stiff front springs it'll be an absolute animal.

Not that it isn't already mind, it's a real hoot to drive! I got a good country road run yesterday and it just hangs onto the road. Can't wait to get it cornerweighted and get it out on track!

We had a snapper in today so I got him to shoot the car for the coverage, which isn't going in for a couple of issues anyway. I shouldn't really show this before it's been in print, but I couldn't resist putting it online anyway so what the hey. This is a small site anyway.

What's interesting is, I was absolutely battering around the roundabout but it looks really composed and quite undramatic. But you can see I'm getting foldage on the near side front tyre...

Check out my 'serious motoring journalist face'  :D