Author Topic: adjusting tension on toothed belt  (Read 5100 times)

Offline busy t

• Members
adjusting tension on toothed belt
« on: January 27, 2009, 06:50:34 pm »
i recently fitted a new toothed belt and adjusted the supercharger to max and it is still way loose, it hits on the engine mount on idle its soo loose.

i had the car up and was looking at the alternator and can only see one bolt and that has no way of adjusting the position of the alternator, do i need to take the charger off? if not...how do i give it more tension??

Offline Dan

• Members
Re: adjusting tension on toothed belt
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 07:06:56 pm »
Sure you have the right length belt ? Alternator in correct position (althogh there technically can only be one)

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 07:44:15 pm »
no there is some adjustment in the alternator - samg40 had that problem with his

pete

Offline Dan

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 07:48:00 pm »
There can't be (only clearance in the screw holes), there shouldn't be an adjuster on the bottom of the alternator.

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
  • Probably the oldest G driver in the Universe.
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 08:34:51 pm »
Wonder where sam got his alternator; was he having trouble with belt lenght too maybe? The G's adjustment's purely on the charger.

Offline SamG40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 10:01:35 pm »
I know there shouldnt be but there is. Basically the studs on my downpipe snapped so I had to have my manifold off, so off came the the alternator and the charger. Now before I started the charger belt was tensioned no problem. Took it all apart and put it back together and the belt wouldnt tighten. On the advice of Andy I took the charger off and repositioned the alternator, basically pushing it in a position to make the maximum difference to the tension. Put the belt on and tbh it's never been on so tight. I've had the alternator and charger off a fair few times and never had that issue before, Pete and I were stumped at the time.

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 10:11:28 pm »
correct, i've just bolted an alternator on my g and you can push it down an extra 4-5mm.

Offline Ä‘uro

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 07:41:15 am »
There can't be (only clearance in the screw holes), there shouldn't be an adjuster on the bottom of the alternator.

How do y. mean there shouldn't be any adjuster !? I hv it and alternator can be mooved for some 3-4 cm up and down. But hv samo problem with tooth belt - it is to long.

Offline Dan

• Members
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2009, 09:53:51 pm »
Ah yes, i see what you mean now. The top bolt is something like an M8 x something long and the hole in the alternator is bigger allowing it to move up and down a few mm, by pivoting the bottom mount.

Offline busy t

• Members
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2009, 01:28:11 am »
so do i have to remove the charger to get to the other alternator mounting point?

Offline Ä‘uro

• Members
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2009, 07:43:16 am »
so do i have to remove the charger to get to the other alternator mounting point?

No, y. can remove it down without moveing charger