Author Topic: Clutch pedal donking  (Read 2476 times)

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
Clutch pedal donking
« on: May 27, 2017, 08:06:56 pm »
It's just started doing this. Doesn't seem to be causing any actual issues but concerned that it might.

https://youtu.be/IXmC2gara2c

Standard clutch, manual cable adjustment and one of those metal ends on the pedal end of the cable.

You can feel the clonk through the pedal, but it doesn't feel like there's any extra resistance before it clonks, it's just a noise it makes at the top of the downward stroke, never on the way back up. And it doesn't do this all the time.

Any ideas?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 08:11:16 pm by Alex »

Offline ereeiz

• Members
Re: Clutch pedal donking
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2017, 09:30:44 am »
PUT A DONK ON IT!

Offline GR40

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2017, 09:51:41 am »
If I remember correctly this noice means the rubber part on the clutch cable that connects to the firewall has destroyed itself and now moves around. Take the clutch cable out and inspect. If the rubber disintegrates you will be left with a couple of cm of play in your clutch cable and that is enough to make you unable to shift gears (clutch will not be pressed to allow the gear change). It has happened to me while in motion! Not a pleasant thing having to revmatch in traffic or having to start the car with first gear engaged just to move.

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2017, 11:23:43 am »
If I remember correctly this noice means the rubber part on the clutch cable that connects to the firewall has destroyed itself and now moves around. Take the clutch cable out and inspect. If the rubber disintegrates you will be left with a couple of cm of play in your clutch cable and that is enough to make you unable to shift gears (clutch will not be pressed to allow the gear change). It has happened to me while in motion! Not a pleasant thing having to revmatch in traffic or having to start the car with first gear engaged just to move.

Cool, I'll have a look. Thanks!

@ereeiz I knew someone would say that  ;D